Grand Junction

Apr 27th, 2014, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Grand Junction

Hello

a friend of mine will be spending almost a whole day in Grand Junction airport. She will not have a car. Is there any suggestions about what she can go or what public transportation she can take to view some sites ?

Thank You all in advance
Apr 27th, 2014, 08:10 PM

Not being able to rent a car sort of limits the options.
Where is she going onward to from Grand Junction?
The Amtrak California Zephyr (both eastbound and westbound) arrives in Grand Junction during daylight hours.
If a rental car were an option, I'd send her to Moab and Arches NP.
Apr 28th, 2014, 10:16 AM

She only has one day, tom.

She could take a cab into downtown Grand Junction and walk around.
Apr 28th, 2014, 01:22 PM

How does someone wind up trapped in the Grand Junction airport for a day. Do hope that it is a 8 hr day and 24 hrs. Our wine country is about 25 miles to the west but no car. Unfortunately this does not have an easy answer.
Apr 28th, 2014, 03:41 PM

The reason I asked where she was going onward to is that she could go to a bigger airport with more choices of flights out.
The eastbound #6 California Zephyr leaves GJT about 10:23AM and is in Denver between 6:30 and 7PM. $64 adult fare advance purchase.
The westbound #5 leaves GJT at 4:10PM and arrives in Salt Lake City about 11:05PM (has been early). $48 adult fare advance purchase. Coach seats are quite comfortable as long as you don't sleep the whole night in them. The most beautiful scenery on any Amtrak route seen in daylight is the Glenwood Canyon just east of Glenwood Springs.
Apr 28th, 2014, 06:06 PM

Hi,
I'm Linda and I live here along with about 50,000 other people. BTW,Fmpden, our wine country is 10-12 miles east of Town.

Public trans is not so good. Take a cab downtown which shouldn't cost too much as the airport Is no more than seven or eight miles away. The charming downtown is four or five blocks of independent shops and restaurants lining a serpentine tree-lined street. Plenty to wander for a few hours and a good chance for exercise and fresh air, a meal or a drink.

Hope this helps.
Linda

Gjlinda
Apr 28th, 2014, 07:04 PM

I agree, Linda. Downtown is cute.

It's not a complicated question with no "easy answer".

Taking a train to Denver? Getting baggage? Then cabbing out to DIA for $60 or so? Checking in at DIA? No way for less than one day.
Apr 28th, 2014, 10:31 PM

We enjoyed the time we spent in the downtown area of Grand Junction. I would not hesitate to go there for a few hours.

Search this Thread