Grand Hyatt NY @ Grand Central - FOOD?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 05:43 AM
Kellser

Grand Hyatt NY @ Grand Central - FOOD?

What the best foor in this area?

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 07:24 AM
John K

Go to www.zagat.com for a guide to restaurants in the Grand Central area and Manhattan in general.

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 08:11 AM
Susan

Kellser,
As John said check zagat.com and also, there are some restaurants right in Grnd Central itself.

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 07:39 PM
kellser

Was hoping for a personal recommendation, something that stands out to some one for some reason.

I am fully aware of Zagat, as are most people. Really don't need the double post.
Are you guys in the 'send people to other websites' committee or what??

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 04:20 AM
Nice Attitude

Kellser, you'll catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

First of all, you haven't mentioned your price range or the type of food that you like.
The best of what?

You gave us nothing to go on except a large area.

Check past posts on this board, Rants and Rages on this site, Zagat's or any decent NYC travel guide and then come back with specific questions.

We're here to help you, not do you homework.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 04:25 AM
Nice Attitude

Sorry for the above typos, I tend to do that when I'm pis__d off. Too many good, knowledgeable people here willng to help others. They don't deserve to be told off.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 04:43 AM
wakeup

Kellser: with your snippy attitude, I'd try McDonalds, there is sure to be one close by. If you're so aware of Zagat.com why don't you use it and choose several places near Grand Central and see if anyone here has some comments about them. John and Susan gave your good advice, including telling you that there are restaurants at Grand Central - which would include The Oyster Bar, a nice place to go for seafood; but if you're going there you should leave your attitude at home.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 05:29 AM
washingtonian

Kellser: you might try Manganaros, an Italian place at 492 W. 9th, between 37th and 38th. Not too far a walk from Grand Central station and terrific food at great prices, esp. the heros. Not fancy, crowded at lunch.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 07:13 AM
phil

spent 4 days at the Grand Hyatt earlier this month. I think I can help re food .

Walk a block or two , east down 42nd . I forgot if it was on 2nd or 3rd , but there is a Mexican restaurant on the East side of the street , a half block north of 42 nd ( next to an Irish Bar on the corner . Excellent

Also , if you go to the west side of 3rd , a block and half north of 42nd, you will find a tremendous deli ....looks like a hole in the wall , but I stumbled on this place around 7 am ...packed with New York people --taxi drivers , cops , you name it ...they had limited seating but we just took stuff back to the Hyatt.

The Hyatt restaurants were too expensive for us. Grand Central had the Oyster Bar - looked great but again too expensive for us , and the rest of the place was cafeteria style and not to apetizing .
Stay away from Tad's Steaks , a couple of blocks west on the south side of 42nd - it was just like a Macdonalds serving mediocre steaks .Cheap but poor quality and the atmosphere was the absolute pits.

Too be honest there isn't too much around the hotel , but it doesn't really matter because subway access is so quick that you can be anywhere in minutes , as Grand Central is a hub.

Times Square is not too far away - try Virgil's Barbeque - great meal at pretty reasonable prices - the place is usually packed , but if you walk in around 8 , when people have just left for shows , you will probably get a seat immediately. The rest of Times square is not a place I would go for food.

Chinatown is about 5 or 6 subway stops south ..strangely enough , we didn't find a restarant that looked all that appealing .... go figure ?

All in all , we didn't find New York restaurants that great if you have a limited budget , but that was not on the top of our lists of prerequisites . Sure , if you wanna spend big bucks there are some great restaurants , but we weren't into that . We are a family of 4 , and would much rather spend $40 bucks spending the day at the Metropolitan Museum , rather then spending 4 times that at a fancy restaurant .

Hope this helps.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 07:54 AM
Kris

Phil: I totally agree with your outlook on food in NYC - we too travel as a family and although I'm not looking for Burger King, I would rather not spend loads of money on food when we could be spending it on visiting the sights. I realize that there are wonderful "food experiences" in NYC, but for us it is just not practical.

Not to butt in on Kellser's post, but Phil, would you mind commenting on your stay at the Grand Hyatt? I have reservations there and have been hearing conflicting reviews. Is it clean? Thanks!

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 08:21 AM
Alex

Kellser types a response like that and New Yorkers are the one's people think are rude? Please remember when you come here that sometimes it is the visitors with an attitude problem.

Kellser, I know plenty of great places in the area. Given your nasty attitude, you'll probably just piss off the staff, stiff them on a tip, and complain about afterwards.

I'm not sure about where you live, but please and thank you still have meaning to some people.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 08:55 AM
phil

re the Grand Hyatt
I thought the Hyatt was a steal at $150 @ night - got that through Expedia .

The place was very clean , safe , felt good when you walked in and plunked your rear end in a leather easy chair and read the NY Times from cover to back ! My wife and kids were really impressed with the place and I wasn't gonna break the spell.

But ,having said that , I would have not been happy if I had spent a big buck for the place . Our room was tired . In my opinion ,it looked like the whole place needed a major renovation when you looked at it closely . I think , Hyatt is milking this place as a cash cow - they are not putting a lot of money into the place , it still has a good name and as a result is pretty full . I think Hyatt will monitor the bottom really close here . When occupancy starts to drop off , they will probably close it up for a long time and renovate it top to bottom .

Great deal at $150. Anything higher , I might check out the Rossevelt and Millenium.

Phil

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 09:11 AM
Amanda

The Grand Hyatt is smack dab in the middle of the city. That's good because it can get you anywhere easily via public transportation or even cabs. With regard to food, aside from some of the pricy venues in GCT, I would encourage you to explore the different neighborhoods. And to that comment that you cannot eat affordably in NYC, that person obviously did not do their research. The beauty of New York City is that there is wonderful food to be had at many different levels. If you walk up second avenue into the high 40's and 50's, you'll hit Zarela's for great Mexican good (killer margarita's) and just up from there is BlockHead's with fantastic (and cheap) Burrito's. There are also a plethora of great Irish Bars there all of which have decent food. There's a terrific new restuarant on 49th (between 2and 3rd) called Caffe Linda which serves very affordably priced Italian food that is really quite good. Working your way South, check out Josie's on 3rd Ave around 38th street. Great, organic cooking. As for the suggestions to look at Zagat, I think that's wise. Look for what kind of price and food you want and then post specific queries. Another great resource is Chowhound.com.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 11:29 AM
kellser

Seems the "FLAMING" is coming from the New Yorkers attacking me in here.

Im not trying to start a fight,Im a nice person. Although you have made rude generalizations regarding my personality!!

If you are annoyed by my post ...don't answer it. If you have nothing to suggest...then don't. NO PROBLEM??!!

If you have valuable information and feel like passing it on, as many have, please do. Seems easy enough,doesn't it?

It just seems silly to keep posting for people to go to ZAGAT. I asked a question about a general area and if anyone has a favorite.

Lay Off.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 01:15 PM
Beth

Kellser: Stop whining! Take a look at this link and see if any thing sounds interesting: http://www.ny.com/dining/area.view/midtown.eastside/

I KNOW you're going to have to look at another site, but you actually might find it helpful!

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 10:58 AM
Wehavebeen

We were there! We had a quite nice room, the plug didn't work though (in the bath). Don't bother eating there - nice but pricey. Very well located. Best place to eat? Burger Heaven, Madison Avenue (come out of hotel, turn right, cross road, turn left onto Madison and it's about three blocks up I think! - yummy burgers, fantastic milkshakes, lovely chicken noodle soup and ... they allow you to take out too!

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 11:42 AM
Margaret

Metrazur, inside Grand Central, is great too, overlooking the terminal.