Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Grand Canyon with 3 year old & 18 month old?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 03:14 PM
Jennie Lee

Working on plans for a trip in August to South West U.S. with our three and 1/2 year old and 20 month old as well as our 14 year old niece and wondering if I could get some input into Grand Canyon with small children. Already thinking North Rim to avoid crowds but wondering if all paths even general walkways and lookouts are just too nerve wracking in terms of potential cliff dives. What about Bryce and Zion? Arches and Canyonlands? What parks would you recommend in terms of family walks/nature trails/accessibility and interest with the young ones. I really appreciate the input.

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 03:29 PM
Postal

I drove cross-country when my kids were that young, and considered a stop at the Grand Canyon, but a lady in the area told me I wouldn't get a moment of peace because I'd have to keep my eye on them all the time. I think they're still a little young for such trips and doubt they'd ever remember them.

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 04:14 PM
Jen

Jennie - I agree with Postal. I've been to the GC - your 14 yr old niece would love it, but you'll never be able to see anything because you'll have to watch the kids every second. Plus, it can be VERY hot in the canyon in August; even adults can have trouble with it. I recommend saving the nature hikes for when the kids are older. Perhaps for now you can do something more relaxing, like a trip to somewhere warm and sunny with a pool (sounds like your niece will be there to help). You may want to look into a Residence Inn - you can get a suite for the week that's like a small apartment.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 03:12 AM
Sounds

Also, just to add:
Do you know how long a drive it is from Arches to the North rim of GC? I'd say at least 6 hours.
I know I wouldn't want to be in the car trying to enjoy the scenery for that long with such little ones!
Wait until they are older and they will appreciate it, and remember the trip as well.
Just a bit of advice from a parent with older kids.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 03:34 AM
xx

To really enjoy the national parks involves much walking. You won't be able to do much walking with such young children in tow. You are going to get a lot of "I'm tired, pick me up". I would put off doing a trip like this until the children are much older since very young children are not likely to be impressed with the beauty of the places you intend visiting.