Grand Canyon via Sante Fe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got plane tickets in & out of Sante Fe for 6 days in March. I'll have my three children (14,11,&6 - two boys, & a girl)with me. Is it crazy for us to drive to see the South Rim of the Grand Canyon or can you suggest another itinerary? We are from NC & this is a rare trip out this way. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 04:54 PM
ExpertTripPlanner

You'll spend a lot of your time driving, and there is so much to see and do in and around Santa Fe: take the kids for a short hike in Tent Rocks, about 45" south of Santa Fe, visit Taos and its pueblo, go to Bandelier Nat'l Monument, make brief visits to a few of the great museums in Santa Fe. You could even travel to Chaco Culture Nati'l Monument to see the remnants of Anasazi civilization. I'd save the Grand Canyon for another trip, myself.

Old Feb 16th, 2007, 04:56 PM

It's nearly 500 miles from Santa Fe to the Grand Canyon village. It would take all day to drive there (a long drive with children). I'd pass and hope you could come back another time.

The kids might appreciate a trip down to Albuquerque more. We enjoyed a tour of the New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science. Some cool dinosaur exhibits there.

A trip northwest of Albuquerque on Hwy 550 to the little town of Cuba might intrigue them. Nothing special to see, but they could impress their friend by saying that they went to Cuba for a vacation. :^)
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 06:19 PM

Please don't go to Cuba, there is truly nothing there. However, continue on 550 and go to Durango. Go to Mesa Verde and see wonderful ruins.

Are you sure you are flying into Santa Fe?? There are few flights from out of state that go in there.

Tent Rocks is a great thing, kids will love it. Drive down the Turquoise Trail from Santa Fe towards Albuquerque and stop in Madrid, an old mining town that was abandoned and has a neat glassblower they might like to watch. There is also a tour of mine I think.

It is going to be pretty cold here at that time. It will be sunny during the day with temps in mid to upper 40's, maybe low 50's if you are lucky. It gets REALLY cold at night [below freezing] so be sure to bring warm clothes; dress in layers. Use sunscreen, the sun is strong here even in winter. Drink lots of water, as the altitude is high and you can get to feeling poorly, especially if you are hiking.

Broken Saddle Ranch in Cerillos [on the way from Santa Fe to aBQ] has nice horses to ride.

Take them on the tram in ABQ. There are great museums for kids in ABQ and an excellent zoo.

The International Folk Museum in Santa Fe is something they might like.

Type the following in search box at top of page to learn more about these areas: Santa Fe, Albuquerque, Durango, Mesa Verde

Hope this helps...
Debi
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 06:35 PM

The west is very big and it takes a lot of time to see it. There are plenty of great things to see around Santa Fe, Albuquerque, and Durango. You don't need to drive 500 miles to get to something worth seeing.
Here's a cool daytrip-- an Albuquerque/Santa Fe loop: http://familyroadtrippers.blogspot.c...p-in-west.html

But by all means, do come back another time for the Grand Canyon trip; and when you do, take this little side loop: http://familyroadtrippers.blogspot.c...-route-66.html
Route 66 through Arizona. If your kids have seen Cars, and liked it, you can drive them through the real Radiator Springs (Peach Springs, AZ).

Grand Canyon is close by, which would make another nifty side trip.

Have a blast,
Dan
www.familyroadtrippers.blogspot.com