Reload this Page >

Grand Canyon/surrounging area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 11:10 AM
jackie

Just interested in what others saw and liked in the area. Any suggestions of what to see and not to see!

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 12:21 PM
Howard

North Rim or South Rim?

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 05:57 PM
gwen

Yes, need to know which rim first-
but if you happen to drive from Phoenix area to south rim stop at Monteczuma's well...wow. Again, if south Rim, Sheridan House Inn is a great place to stay in the less-than-great town of Williams, about 60 miles from Canyon.

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 02:50 AM
jackie

South rim

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 11:23 AM
gwen

Ok, south rim-
Not sure if you've decided where to stay...think i saw discussion in this forum on lodges within Canyon park itself- go to rants and raves on hotels, you'll find discussion of Bright Angel Lodge, etc. Certainly convenient location right there on the rim but also crowded. Williams is 60 miles straight south but is a run down mining town, Flagstaff is lovely if you can stay 90 miles away from the canyon.
We were just at the canyon last week, south rim, and saw 4 CA. condors and a mountain goat. Avoid trying to go to the right as you approach south rim- it's all under construction. However, the miles (10?) of (paved) rim trail you can still hike to the left will occupy much time and is stunning. You'll find you can take the shuttle between many of the stops if you want.

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 08:55 PM
Go Hiking!

In October I hiked down to the bottom of the canyon with water, my toothbrush, clean underwear and socks. I stayed overnight at the dorm at Phantom Ranch, and hiked back up the next day. You can make reservations months and months in advance for dorm space and dinner. I called a week before to see if there were cancellations. I'm not a fitness fanatic, but I'm in decent shape. October was a great month to hike. It's too hot for me there in the summer.

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 09:02 PM
larry

I took my family on a backpack into the canyon two years ago on July 5th. It was 116 degrees half way down. We won't ever backpack there in mid-summer. I've done it in May, and its nice. Carrying water down hill is hard on your knees. The North Rim is remote, quiet, cool and scenic.
There has been prehistoric mountain goat bones found in caves in the Grand Canyon, but the only hooved animals there now are bighorn sheep, deer, and the pack mules. Condors are cool to see, usually near the Kolb Studio and Bright Angel Lodge.

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 03:11 AM
rqf

Depends on what you mean by "in the area"
In the immediate area are Walnut Canyon, Wupatki, Sunset Crater and Montezuma's Castle National Monuments and Sedona. If you are willing to travel a radius of less than 200 miles places of interest are Monument Valley, Canyon de Chelly and Petrified Forest National Park. Increase the radius to 300 miles or so and you can visit the following national parks: Zion, Bryce, Arches, Canyonlands and Mesa Verde.