Grand Canyon - South Rim to North Rim

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2011, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just beginning our plans for a trip to the Grand Canyon. I keep seeing articles on some travel sites stating that the north rim is so different, and actually prettier, than the south rim. According to mapquest, there are no roads to the north rim.
Are there roads within the park system to get from one side to the other? If so, what is the travel time?
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 07:54 AM

I keep seeing articles on some travel sites stating that the north rim is so different, and actually prettier

"Different" yes. "Prettier" no. Both are worthy destinations. North rim is higher, more isolated (roads closed from first snows -- usually November -- until mid-May), and feels less hectic because there are fewer visitors, but south has more viewpoints closer to the river.

Are there roads within the park system to get from one side to the other?

No, you have to take the east exit and travel north past Lee's Ferry (or, a bit longer, Page) to reach the north rim. This is a very scenic route though, passing thru the Painted Desert and the edge of the Vermillion Cliffs National Monument.

what is the travel time?

On rim-to-rim hikes, which typically took 8 hours, we'd often have someone drive around to meet us on the other side and from Kaibab south trailhead to Kaibab north trailhead (a couple miles from the Lodge) it was four hours of driving plus whatever stops for scenery you might take. Could take a bit longer if you get stuck behind an RV going up the steep grade to the plateau.
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 09:07 AM

Bill_H is right on, he must be a fantastic hiker to do rim to rim in 8 hours,and for what it's worth I think the south rim has prettier views
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 10:10 AM

On mapquest type in "North Rim" to find the road there.

Like emalloy, I always cast my vote for the South Rim for first timers who only have time for one rim.

Utahtea
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 03:50 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
"Like emalloy, I always cast my vote for the South Rim for first timers who only have time for one rim."

I definitely agree - but I'm one of those who think the North Rim is prettier. By that I mean the PARK area at the North Rim. The views from the South Rim are far more panaromic and spectacular - and so I'd say go there first. But, if you have the time, I'd go to the North Rim if you can.

Here's the website and you can click on the hyperlinks to get more info about both -
http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/index.htm

From the North Rim link, here are the driving directions -
to the NORTH RIM, Grand Canyon National Park, from:

South Rim, Grand Canyon, AZ - 212 miles / 341 kilometers
Take Highway 64 east to Highway 89.
Take Highway 89 north to Highway 89Alt.
Take Highway 89Alt west to Highway 67.
Take Highway 67 south directly to the North Rim.

If you want to "see" the route, use Google Maps to create a map.
Start at Grand Canyon Village, AZ (or Grand Canyon South Rim Visitor Center.
Then enter, Cameron, AZ
Next, Jacob's Lake AZ
And last, Grand Canyon National Park North Rim

It's 55 miles and 1:15 hr from South Rim to Cameron*
112 miles and 2 hours to Jacob's Lake (stop at Navajo Bridge as it crosses the canyon and river)
43 miles and about an hour to the NP at the North Rim

Total = 209 and 4 hours 20 minutes

One option would be to stay at Cameron as you leave the park. The Cameron Trading Post has basic, clean rooms but we really enjoyed staying there. The restaurant is good. Their Indian Fry Bread with honey is FABULOUS. The gift shop is extensive. My sister took hours (literally) in there - (she was shopping for rugs).
The scenery through the desert is spectacular in a desolate way. We enjoyed stopping at the bridge (parking before you get to the bridge) and wandering the vendors selling jewelry there. I bought my favorite pieces there. In fact, a vendor dismantled and restrung the stones and designs I liked to create a necklace/earring set while we strolled down to the bridge to take in the view.
On the other side of the canyon/river is a very good Visitor's Center (with nice bathrooms).
Just a bit up the way was a gas station with snacks and drinks. They had homemade tamales in a crock pot and I bought two. They were DELICIOUS.
It's an easy drive on into Jacob's Lake and the North Rim (unless you get stuck behind a truck or RV).
LOVED the North Rim. It's much more wooded, smaller and cooler. We stayed at one of the cabins and we thrilled to snag a table in front of the windows with a great view for dinner in the lodge.
Sitting at the patio on the rim (outside the lodge) it felt like being in a state park than a huge national park. I just loved it (can you tell?). I took a ranger led night hike (stroll) in the dark to the point and it was amazing to experience the park through the other senses when sight was limited.

On the way back we stopped at Jacob's Lake - and sister spent hours (again) shopping for rugs. Because of that I discovered that the soda fountain in the middle of the store offered good food.

If you mix the South Rim with a night at Cameron and then one at the North Rim you'll get a completely different experience that if you just do the South Rim. If you have time, consider it.

Enjoy the trip!
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 03:50 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
"Like emalloy, I always cast my vote for the South Rim for first timers who only have time for one rim."

I definitely agree - but I'm one of those who think the North Rim is prettier. By that I mean the PARK area at the North Rim. The views from the South Rim are far more panaromic and spectacular - and so I'd say go there first. But, if you have the time, I'd go to the North Rim if you can.

Here's the website and you can click on the hyperlinks to get more info about both -
http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/index.htm

From the North Rim link, here are the driving directions -
to the NORTH RIM, Grand Canyon National Park, from:

South Rim, Grand Canyon, AZ - 212 miles / 341 kilometers
Take Highway 64 east to Highway 89.
Take Highway 89 north to Highway 89Alt.
Take Highway 89Alt west to Highway 67.
Take Highway 67 south directly to the North Rim.

If you want to "see" the route, use Google Maps to create a map.
Start at Grand Canyon Village, AZ (or Grand Canyon South Rim Visitor Center.
Then enter, Cameron, AZ
Next, Jacob's Lake AZ
And last, Grand Canyon National Park North Rim

It's 55 miles and 1:15 hr from South Rim to Cameron*
112 miles and 2 hours to Jacob's Lake (stop at Navajo Bridge as it crosses the canyon and river)
43 miles and about an hour to the NP at the North Rim

Total = 209 and 4 hours 20 minutes

One option would be to stay at Cameron as you leave the park. The Cameron Trading Post has basic, clean rooms but we really enjoyed staying there. The restaurant is good. Their Indian Fry Bread with honey is FABULOUS. The gift shop is extensive. My sister took hours (literally) in there - (she was shopping for rugs).
The scenery through the desert is spectacular in a desolate way. We enjoyed stopping at the bridge (parking before you get to the bridge) and wandering the vendors selling jewelry there. I bought my favorite pieces there. In fact, a vendor dismantled and restrung the stones and designs I liked to create a necklace/earring set while we strolled down to the bridge to take in the view.
On the other side of the canyon/river is a very good Visitor's Center (with nice bathrooms).
Just a bit up the way was a gas station with snacks and drinks. They had homemade tamales in a crock pot and I bought two. They were DELICIOUS.
It's an easy drive on into Jacob's Lake and the North Rim (unless you get stuck behind a truck or RV).
LOVED the North Rim. It's much more wooded, smaller and cooler. We stayed at one of the cabins and we thrilled to snag a table in front of the windows with a great view for dinner in the lodge.
Sitting at the patio on the rim (outside the lodge) it felt like being in a state park than a huge national park. I just loved it (can you tell?). I took a ranger led night hike (stroll) in the dark to the point and it was amazing to experience the park through the other senses when sight was limited.

On the way back we stopped at Jacob's Lake - and sister spent hours (again) shopping for rugs. Because of that I discovered that the soda fountain in the middle of the store offered good food.

If you mix the South Rim with a night at Cameron and then one at the North Rim you'll get a completely different experience that if you just do the South Rim. If you have time, consider it.

Enjoy the trip!
Old May 9th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much, all of you, for all the great help!