Grand Canyon Referrals

Jan 23rd, 2002, 11:35 AM
Denise

Grand Canyon Referrals

Recommendations for Hotels, Restaurants and site seeing for Grand Canyon area would be helpful???

Jan 23rd, 2002, 11:50 AM
toldham

it depends whether you are on the north or south rim--the south is teh most popular/crowded---the lodging right at the rim is convenient, if nothing special--the other option is outside the park--the main restaurant at the ldoge is ok--sightweeing is done via van mostly, where you can be dropped off at various stops

Jan 23rd, 2002, 12:30 PM
x

you`ll get tons of info by doinga web search here...type in south rim or Grand canyon....then ask if need more info...we`ll all be happy to help.....

Jan 23rd, 2002, 01:37 PM
Merilee

Hi Denise...I stayed at El Tovar Hotel on the southern rim...I had a clean, but spartan furnished room that was located in the hallway to the left of the reception area...it faced the front...I'm sure there are rooms facing the canyon that are more suitably decorated...I paid $100.00 per night in 1998...the restaurant in the El Tovar left alot to be desired...I had a table by the canyon at sunset and that was beautiful...a few steps up there is a more casual restaurant to eat in along with a souvenir shop selling the usual tee shirts, etc....the town outside the park has many chain motels and restaurants...as the previous poster mentioned you can hop on and off a shuttle bus to various lookouts along the south rim...there's an enclosed viewing area with floor to ceiling windows that was spectacular...it was good for me because of the height thing...you will be amazed at the number of people who ignore the signs depicting people falling over and wander dangerously to the edge...the last time I was there it was summer and I had a chance to see a traveling troupe of Indian dancers who performed outside the adobe building gift shop...they represented many generations of a family and it was great...prices for food are a much higher in the Grand Canyon area than in many other tourist areas because of its location such as places like McDonald's, although yes I know, McDonald prices differ everywhere.

Jan 23rd, 2002, 08:20 PM
sharon

We stayed in wonderful cabins just steps from the South Rim for only $75/night just 2 yrs ago (in Feb). It was fantastic.

Jan 24th, 2002, 09:43 AM
x

I`d stay on the rim..Bright Angel cabins,BA lodge,kachina,Thunderbird or El Tovar...B.A. restaurant,lounge,steakhouse,ElTovar restaurant and lounge.....a cafeteria,sports bar and grocery store are back from the rim(in the park though)along with the Masquik(SP) and another lodging place(can`t remember the name)...outside the park,there is a town called Tusayan..there are some hotel/motels,a Imax,McDonalds,Denney`s ,etc---Air Star has a great helicopter trip...and also other site seeing venue abound....bus tour from the park(about $22) is great too ck at Bright Angel desk... ck out www.the canyon.com and amfac.com---

Jan 24th, 2002, 06:50 PM
Vanessa

Can anyone comment on the Grand Canyon Squire Inn (Best Western)?

Jan 25th, 2002, 07:19 AM
Whiskers

Ultra nice, sits in Tusayan, about 10 miles south of the canyon rim itself. Lots of restaurants nearby, cinemax theater, helicopter pads, etc. It's outside Grand Canyon National Park.