Reload this Page >

Grand Canyon recommendations/tips

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 1998, 12:43 PM
Alma

We're (family with 16 & 9 year old) planning a trip to Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce next June. Need info on the Grand Canyon. Is there bus/shuttle service available from Tusayan? If so, how often and what is the cost? What is the best way to get to the South Rim - heard that parking is a problem.

Old Sep 7th, 1998, 01:56 PM
Larry

Hi Alma, It's a great country out there & these places are a good start. I sent some info via direct e-mail so the sites would be active. Don't know about the shuttle but parking is a problem. Park was talking about starting a shuttle for in-Park visitors but don't know the status. Check the web sites I sent.

Old Sep 7th, 1998, 05:50 PM
Bob

Hello. My family and I just got back from visiting the Grand Canyon 1 week ago. A friend suggested we skip the South Rim and try the North Rim. This was a great suggestion. The North Rim has many trails for hiking, is at an elevation of 8000 ft, and has a pine forest up to the rim. One can do donkey rides on the trails and see the Colorado River as well. We drove from Flagstaff to Kanab, midway between all 3 canyons. One day was spent in Bryce and Zion. The second day on the North Rim. One can spend several days/weeks at each, but we had limited time. All 3 parks have cabins located in the park. They would be a great place to stay. Grand Canyon, Bryce and Zion lodging is handled via AmFac Parks & Resorts, 303-297-2757. Enjoy.

Old Sep 8th, 1998, 05:05 AM
Paul Rabe

The two URL's you want are
www.kaibab.org
www.nps.gov/grca
Neither notes a bus between Tusuyan and the Rim, but some camps and motels in that city do offer that.

Old Sep 11th, 1998, 08:58 PM
natalie

Alma - I agree with above. The south rim is tempting, but tourist america at its worse. Even the hiking is crowded, unless you're pretty hardy! I would recommend backpacking the canyon to anyone if you have the time. (even this requires campground reservations at least 6 months ahead of time) The north rim is wonderful, and will save you a long, boring drive as well. I think there is actually a lot more to see & do in Zion & Bryce than Grand Canyon.