Reload this Page >

Grand Canyon Railroad

Search

Grand Canyon Railroad

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2001, 05:31 PM
bob

Grand Canyon Railroad

Taking trip to Arizona next spring, during which I was going to spend a couple of nights in Sedona. I was thinking that I might spend a night in Williams at the Fray Marcos Hotel, taking the train to the Grand Canyon and then spending a night at El Tovar and coming back the next day. Does anybody know anything about the train ride to the Grand Canyon? Is it enjoyable or would I be better off just driving to the Grand Canyon? What about the bus tours around the canyon,are they a good way of seeing the canyon or would driving be better? What about the Fray Marcos Hotel? I would appreciate any opinions on the best way to do things.

Old Jul 1st, 2001, 06:07 PM
m

My husband and I did the train package and LOVED it. My husband had never been on a train so it was great. We paid for the upgrade to first class so we had great seats and snacks, the coach class is just benches. There is not much to see during the ride, but it's better than driving. Fran Marcos was much nicer than expected (think Hampton Inn, with indoor pool), the restaurant serves only bbq food so you would be better off eating at one of the cafes in town. You will find parking sparse at the Grand Canyon so train is a good option. The Canyon offers free shuttles all around the park which are easy to catch. Bright Angel Lodge has the best restaurant. We stayed at Mesawik (motel) so can't comment on El Tovar - but do know it is the best hotel.

Old Jul 1st, 2001, 06:08 PM
michelle

cont...we did a Bus tour of West Canyon - recommend this as the shuttles out there are always packed, the east side of canyon easy to see on your own and there is even an easy walking train through east side. Unless your a hiker 1 night/day is plenty to see canyon. Have fun!

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 08:57 AM
Linda

Personally, I felt the GC RR was a rip-off. There is nothing to see you can't see from your car. But, as somebody said, it is better than driving, marginally. The distance is just not that great and the "views" are the same. I like having my car whem I get to the canyon because it means I can get to some viewpoints that would be too far away to hike to. El Tovar is a great hotel, you'll be happy with your choice, especially if you reserve a room with a view of the canyon and a balcony. Nothing like enjoying a glass of wine and watching the sun go down over the canyon. Even if there is no sunset, it is glorious. And if there is, there are no words to describe it.

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 06:19 PM
bob

I'm glad you said that Linda. We were able to book one of the suites with a balcony overlooking the canyon. I kind of thought that too, having some wine while watching the sunset or maybe some coffee while watching the sunrise.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 08:30 AM
kam

Bob, Just made reservations at El Tovar for June, 2002, two weeks ago. Went back to see if I could get another room for son and they're sold out already. Make your reservations today (you can always cancel). It's a nice old place, we've been before. Thinking we're going to spend a day in Sedona (been before) and another day in Prescott and 2 at El Tovar. Good luck.