Search

Grand Canyon - Rafting Trip

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2006, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Canyon - Rafting Trip

Hi,
We're getting a little crazy in our old age.
Booked a trip in 3 weeks for a 6 day trip with Hatch. We seemed to be confused on a few issues. Rain gear( Is Pvc too hot?) Footware. Camera. Any
other additional comments from individuals who have been on this trip will be appreciated.
Thanks
Tom
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 09:03 AM

We've rafted the Colorado twice, once with Hatch. Doubt you will have much call to use rain gear; you will be soaked to the skin from the river and loving every moment. Tennies or thongs would be your best for footwear. Something cheap, dries quickly, provides footing in water and sand. Also, if you wish, anything you take should be tossable -- either toss away or throw into the washing machine when you get home. Be sure to take along sun block; apply to your legs and insteps liberally. A floppy hat that will protect your ears and neck from the sun. T shirts are best -- they will be caked with sand and mud at one time or another. Pack along a sweatshirt 'cause it gets cool in the evening. Leave your inhibitions at home. Enjoy!
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 09:08 AM

Camera: just make sure you pack it in a waterproof plastic bag. Kitchen bags with sliding closures work OK. Double-bag it, and you likely will protect your camera from water and/or sand. You will be issued a waterproof metal ammunition can, and you should keep your wrapped camera in it during the times you are in the boat.
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 03:20 PM

Lucky you! We rafted with Hatch 6-7 years ago and it was a fabulous experience. We found Tevas to be the best footwear - better then sneakers even for the side hiking trips - my sister went the expensive route with "rafting shoes" - they were awful - constantly filled with gravel and grit.
Major bit of advice for the female of you (I'm assuming one of you is)- 2-piece swim suits -like a tankini style-are the best. You'll want a 2-piece because unless things have drastically changed, you will be peeing IN the Colorado River and a 2-piece is easier to handle. (to put your mind at rest, you will poop in a travelling port-a-potty.)
You will also wash in the CR (not in the same spot, I assume). The River can be very gritty and COLD - Wet-Wipes are a good idea.
We went in September - I think we used the rain-gear once or twice. We did have one heavy downpour in the p.m.
Also - if you can find it, pick up a-waterproof- map of the CR before you depart - there's one like a pocketbook that you can treat as a diary.
Have a great time!
P.S. Don't feel old - there was a couple in their 70s in our group and they had a blast.
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 05:29 PM

Get a rafting hat with a cord at a camping store. You don't want to lose your hat. Take several cheap t-shirts that you can just throw away every day or two. We all cherished a clean shirt after a few days. Anything "washed" in the Colorado will be tinged red from the mud and will not get clean. A light rain suit will be handy even if it doesn't rain as you will get wet on the raft and the water is about 45 degrees. In the afternoon when it heats up you will be glad to get the rain suit off and get a splash to cool off. I used a PVC suit and it was too hot. I'd get one that breathes a little. Tevas are the ticket, do not take sneakers as they will be too heavy and not last the water and all of the hiking. If you are concerned about your camera, disposables work quite well. I kept my camera dry in the "ammo" box. You will have plenty of time to take it out and photograph the Canyon and then stow it going down the rapids. As for the "facilities", after a day no one will pay attention to what is going on in the river. Our motto was "zippers up and skirts down" to separate the inhibited. I suggest looking at Travelsmith for their shorts and tees that are made of synthetics as they will dry quickly and wear well.
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 03:44 PM

TKing,
Be sure to let us know how you enjoyed the trip.
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 06:08 AM

TKing - we did a similar trip in June and this report may answer questions you have: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34818962
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 07:07 AM

topping
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 01:37 PM

I was on the river the same time as MRand, and his trip report is fabulous. A couple things...I definitely second the recommendation of Tevas and not tennis shoes. I brought my tennies and didn't touch them. Also, if you plan to wear shorts, make sure they cover your thighs when you are sitting. We had a couple gals on our trip draping shirts over their legs the whole trip to avoid baking. (Even constant sunscreen doesn't help when the sun is direct on horizontal parts of the body). Best yet, quick-drying long-sleeve shirt and pants, and dunk yourself in the river at every opportunity.

We too were confused about raingear. I think if you are lucky enough to sit in the back of the boat, you would probably be fine without. We sat up front and were very happy to have it on the big rapids days. My cheap $12 pvc was hot, but did the job.

My favorite item was the camp shower. It's a five gallon bag filled with water that heats up during the day. I may be insufficiently hardy, but being able to take everything off and wash (we put it up over a big boulder) a couple times made everything better, even when the water got a little murkier at the end.

Have fun!