Reload this Page >

Grand Canyon mule-10 year old

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 05:43 AM
David

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has taken a child on the 1 day mule trip into the canyon. My daughter has ridden horses(and mules), but I guess I am becoming a bit concerned after reading adults posts about the "terrifying" precipices etc.
I have also read that the actual drops are actually only 20-30 feet(to the switchback below). My daughter is pretty bold about this type of thing, but is also at the age where predicting her response to new things is iffy. I am totally unconcerned about any real danger, just her comfort level.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. (We have reservations to go in early March)

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 07:13 AM
ALF

I can't write about this first-hand, but my brother took that trip when he was 12 and described it to me. The 'terrifying' part is that the mules tend to like to walk close to the outer edge of the trail, allowing you to look over the edge. He is afraid of heights and felt a bit panicky, but whenever that happened, he either closed his eyes, or looked elsewhere. I've walked the same trail (Bright Angel), and it certainly is a series of switchbacks going up cliffs, but the trail is very wide and well-graded. Shouldn't be a problem. My biggest concern was trying to avoid stepping in mule 'deposits'.

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 05:16 PM
Ranger Rick

most of the mules are younger than ten. Some are as young as two.

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 06:18 PM
Gary

David: These burros are brought in from three other states to be thoroughly trained for 3 years before anyone rides them & they are carefully picked to suit the individual who rides them. Comfort is definitely a factor in this decision. The National Park Service has a record to back it up that you're safer riding a burro to the bottom of the canyon & back up again than you are walking the trail. One of the reasons I'm told the burros walk closer to the edge of the trail is to not be distracted to stop and eat vegetation growing along the cliff walls. These animals are much more sure-footed than their relative horse & donkey on such a rough terrain. They are tougher & less temperamental.

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 06:30 PM
xx

There is a height requirement. I don't know what it might be. Also, reservations for the mule ride have to be made well in advance - could be a year at least.

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 08:18 AM
Karen

My mother, my daughters (about 10 and 11 at the time) and I did the Mule Ride. It was wonderful. I had the most problems because my mule wanted to eat the leaves when we rested. They tend to give the younger folks in the group the more passive mules. I made reservations for right after tax season "April 17" six months in advance and the weather was perfect.

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 11:18 AM
David

Thank you all for your help...

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 12:31 PM
x

they are MULES....and you have to be at least 4'7" and under 200lbs.---and the drop offs can be 1800 ft.---and can`t be afraid of heights...and speak english...about $117 .....

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 03:58 PM
hope

My kids & I did did the 1/2 day mule trip (North Rim) which I think makes more sense, as we were all stiff by Noon. It was a highlight of our trip, as the mules were tootin' the whole way and the kids thought this was the funniest thing they'd every seen! The switchbacks were exciting for them, and we never forgot it (this was about 12 yrs ago)