Grand Canyon Lodging - Yavapai West or Holiday Inn Express in Tusayan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be going to the Grand Canyon for one night in mid-August. The only thing I've been able to get in the park is Yavapai West (no a/c). I also booked the Holiday Inn Express in Tusayan. Is it worth staying in the park if we can't get something near the rim?

I keep checking online to see if something else opens up in the park. Would it be better to call?
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 09:12 AM

I'd go for ANY room inside the park over one that's 20 miles away. And if you reserve there now, you can still keep calling (phone not internet)the park's res office to ask about cancellations if you'd prefer other lodging there.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 09:21 AM

Is it worth staying in the park if we can't get something near the rim?

Yavapai is fine, you're not too far from the rim (maybe half mile) and there's a free shuttle bus from Yavapai. A/C is nice but typically in August the high temps are mid-80's with slight possibility of 90's and it cools off quite a bit at night, usually 50's - 60's.

The Holiday Inn Express in Tusayan is also fine, a better conditioned property than Yavapai, plus they offer free breakfast. If you are getting up early and driving into the park (say for sunrise) then I would prefer staying here (have stayed on the rim and in Tusayan many times). But if you will be going into the park mid-day or in the afternoon then you will likely face a long wait at the entrance station. If this is your situation then probably better off keeping the Yavapai room.

Keep calling, things open up all the time.

Bill
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 09:43 AM

YES you should stay inside the park, and Yavapai is fine.

When I booked Maswik, I tried online checking everyday for rim lodging, because calling is kind of onerous, and I never got anything better. I have a feeling you are better off trying the phone. At least the only folks I know who managed to find better lodging did it using the phone, not online.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 10:35 AM
J62

I am playing the same game. I have 1 night booked in Yavapai East (2q, w/ AC) and one night in Maswik S. (smaller rms, no AC). I call from time to time and check online. Phone rep tells me they tend to get more cancellations as date approaches.

I plan to keep what I have and be happy with it, but change to better rm if I can.

I noticed today 1 rm opened up in ElTovar for July 1/2, so keep checking.
Old May 4th, 2013, 08:45 AM

We like the location of Yavapai and were there in mid June. Due to the elevation it was slightly cold. I did see that there were ceiling fans and the windows opened so I would feel confortable with that even in the hotter months. I would definitly check back for cancellations. Availability changed frequently as we were making our plans last year at the last minute and had to change our dates a few times. Keep calling.
Old May 4th, 2013, 08:51 AM

This post is 5 years old!