Grand Canyon lodging

Feb 12th, 2002, 01:02 PM
Sarah

Grand Canyon lodging

I have searched this site & need additional help.
I will be traveling from Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon - planning on staying 2 nights & returning to Las Vegas.
The El Tovar is booked (of course). I am very picky about places to stay. An outstanding room is important to me. Any ideas???
The hotel does not have to be in the park, in may be right outside within 20 miles. Thanks for your help.

Feb 12th, 2002, 02:44 PM
Aaron the Aardvark

For ideas, take a look at http://www.aardvarktravel.net/cgi-bin/at/atsearch.cgi?Terms=grand+canyon+lodging&Range=All

Good luck,

Aaron

AardvarkTravel.net Travel Search Engine
http://www.aardvarktravel.net
The world's best travel search engine.

Feb 12th, 2002, 02:56 PM
Karen

Though not outstanding, four star, Kachina Lodge and Thunderbird Lodge are right next door to the El Tovar and have fabulous views of the canyon, especially if you have a third floor room....book through Bright Angel.

Feb 12th, 2002, 04:45 PM

I agree. Stay in the park at the Thunderbird. not fancy, but great views, and you can walk to the El Tovar for dinner.

Feb 13th, 2002, 06:50 AM
goingwest

Has anyone ever stayed in the Grand Hotel in Tusayan??? Looks good on the internet (but many things do that aren't) but it might be a better choice for Sarah. She is VERY PICKY about the hotel room she said, the in the park lodging doesn't sound like the right choice but maybe I'm wrong.

So, what about the Grand Hotel?

Feb 13th, 2002, 10:16 AM
x

the El Tovar is small and quaint,other than that I can`t see a down side...I personally loved the Thunderbird.stayed there twice...the Grand is fairly new..like your typical Holiday Inn...there is a Comfort Inn too...personally I`d stay in the park,on the rim.....nothing compares...you can`t n=be that picky,Sarah...there is no HIGH classed ***** hotels....

Feb 13th, 2002, 10:18 AM
x

keep trying, there are always last minute cancelations....

Feb 13th, 2002, 10:47 AM
jane

If your picky about hotel rooms you won't like any other lodging in the park. They are rustic, beds, shower, and many have paper thin walls. While I would stay there for the experience of being on the canyon, but if you are picky off site might be better, but even then there are no HILTON type lodgining anywhere nearby

Feb 13th, 2002, 10:57 AM
OliveOyl

Our Bright Angel cabin certainly didn't have paper thin walls and I'd take it any day over an uninspired motel in "town"! I love a nice hotel and my husband runs one, but heck, this is the Grand Canyon, it's not SF, NY, or Boston. Bright Angel has atmosphere.

Though we ate at El Tovar and of course saw their lobby which was nice yet rustic, my understanding from a friend who has stayed there is that the rooms are nothing to write home about. Certainly the dining room service was very very standard. No better. Likewise the food. All these, including El Tovar, are run by the same company, Amfac Hotels, and I sure wouldn't let the fact that you can't get into El Tovar sway your decision on staying within the park!