Reload this Page >

Grand Canyon in November or March

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 08:45 AM
Cheri

We would love to take our sons to the Grand Canyon but their schools only have vacation in mid-march, end of November and of course summer. Are end of November and mid March too cold for that area? I read that in summer the temps are really hot, like 100 degrees. Can anyone tell me what the best of these times would be to visit and what the weather will be like at that time? Thank you!

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 11:32 AM
jim

The closest I can come to answering is to say that we were there in early-April (not March, but close enough).

It was quite pleasant then -- sunny, in the 60s. You needed a light jacket or sweater, but it beat the heck out of 100-degree weather. I'd say mid-March is OK. Dress in layers.

Sorry, can't comment on November.

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 12:40 PM
Bob Brown

I think the 100 degree figure you cite must refer to areas of the canyon below the rim.
I have been there in the summer and the temperatures were in the upper 80's during the day. But, because of the elevation and dry air, the temperatures at night fall off to 60 or so.
The maximum temperature on the National Park climate page for the south rim is 84 degrees. But I think that must be an old figure. I would have guessed 88 before I saw that chart.

The sun is quite intense, with 7,500 fewer feet of altitude to filter out the burning rays. I have seen many people there who evidently did not believe in sunscreen look like boiled lobsters by the end of the day. I doubt if they enjoyed the next day!!
I guess people who don't believe in sunscreen probably don't believe that intense sun exposure causes basal cells, squamous cells, and melanoma.

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 01:13 PM
xx

have been there the end of March...a little,light coat...mule rides great time..Phantom in th 80`s..during day 50-60...also there mid-March had frost and a liile chillier..heavier coats...but pleasant..thin it would be a good time either Nov` or March..N.Rim closed...but if you can stand cooler temps...go for it...maybe be able to get in on a mule ride...usually 2 year waiting list but you can check..worth a try ...not quite as hot for hicking either... might even get a Sedona,AZ trip in too...

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 03:19 PM
Cheri

Thanks for the reply. We would definitely take a side trip to Sedona or Phoenix if we go out there. How is the weather in those locales in March?

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 04:31 PM
michelle

You may get snow near or around Sedona in March, dress warm. Phx is great during march. The heat (90 plus) doesn't start until end of April. You can plan on days in 70's and nights cool in the 50's

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 05:28 AM
rob

went in early/mid december several years ago.......weather was fine (IMO)..nights were very cold; days were probably in the 50's/sometimes overcast but not often/ snowed early one morning but it melted off by afternoon;

when hiking, we usually started off w/ jackets but ended the day in our long sleeved t-shirts