Grand Canyon in March

Oct 2nd, 2007, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Grand Canyon in March

I have read great advice on visiting the GC, Bryce, Zion and Sedona; but here is our twist -- we have 8 days to explore the area in late March. With the North Rim closed, I'm wondering if we should stick to the South Rim and Sedona or try and do both South Rim and Bryce/Zion. Any veteran advice?

Oct 2nd, 2007, 06:22 PM

I have no advice but would love the same information. Glad you asked.
Oct 2nd, 2007, 06:44 PM

I've been to the area many times, and have seen Bryce/Zion and Sedona twice each. I recommend the former on an eight day trip. With good planning you can do both despite the requirement of backtracking, and I consider B/Z to be more worthwhile.

One thing that the Sedona area DOES have that B/Z does not is history; both pre-historic (Anaszi ruins) and historic (boomtown of Jerome). You'll get more variety by going to Sedona, but I still consider B/Z to be better.
Oct 2nd, 2007, 07:38 PM

I was there at the end of March one year - and was thrilled to see the canyon in snow. Two days of steady snowfall. I'd mix the South Rim and Sedona. Great combo!
Oct 2nd, 2007, 07:42 PM

With the North Rim closed, I'm wondering if we should stick to the South Rim and Sedona or try and do both South Rim and Bryce/Zion. Any veteran advice?

Do both South Rim and Bryce/Zion ... we used to hike rim-to-rim and have one person ferry a vehicle from the trailhead on the south rim to the Kaibab Trailhead on the north rim and it was always a four hour drive ... in other words, it's not that big a deal to drive from north/south rim to the other side.

Late March is a great time to visit.

Bill
Oct 3rd, 2007, 03:20 AM

I'll agree that you should do both Bryce and Zion, but check with the visitor center in Grand Canyon or Zion before heading to Bryce as the park lies at 10,000 Ft. and the roads may be closed due to snow. No point in making a long drive only to come to a closed gate.
Oct 3rd, 2007, 08:22 AM

Bryce Natl Park elevation tops out at 9,100 ft. and yes there will be snow in March. It's beautiful and won't stop you from seeing the canyon.

Bryce and Zion do have plenty of history. In Boulder, on Hwy 12 between Bryce and Capitol Reef, is the Anazasi (ancentral puebloan) museum, small but interesting. Plus countless ruins you can reach by hikes.

Just outside Zion, is the ghost town of Grafton. Get local directions to visit. It's marginally restored, and completely uncommercialized. Small pioneer settler cemetery. This is where Etta's house was filmed for "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid". Many other scenes were filmed just outside the park around the Virgin River (gorgeous).