Reload this Page >

Grand Canyon in January w/toddlers

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 1997, 08:46 AM
marie

My husband and I will be visiting cousins in Phoenix at the New Year and we are planning to drive to Sedonna and the Grand Canyon and spend 2 days in each. Any suggestions for where to stay, eat, what to do with a 2 and 3 year old would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Old Oct 5th, 1997, 07:01 PM
Robbie

Marie
The Grand Canyon is not really my suggestion for a ideal place to take toddlers. My son was 17 yrs old when we went a couple years ago. They would probably enjoy it a few years from now. I saw a few parents being somewhat careless with their little ones around some of the major rim sites. A couple of years ago when we went it snowed on the south rim of the canyon and it was june 17th. Now as for Sedona we traveled to Sedona from Prescott and went to the Jerome, Arizona which was a old mining town. Then we went down into Sedona it is very beautiful there don't miss the Chapel of the Holy Cross it is a church built into the redrock canyon and is a site to behold. We also went to Marble Canyon which is right near Lees ferry which is mile one of the Colorado. This is where some of the rafting tours start from. We hiked around here and enjoyed some beautiful scenery. It might be a good idea to ask the relatives on the weather before you consider a Canyon visit that time of the year.

Old Oct 6th, 1997, 02:17 AM
Larry

Don't think there is a bad time of year to visit the Grand Canyon. Expect snow but the views ought to be GREAT. Always wanted to visit in winter. Here's some info: (AZ) Grand Canyon Nat'l Park:
http://www.nps.gov/grca/ Grand Canyon National Park Service pages

http://www.kaibab.org/gc_home6.htm The "unofficial" Home Page on the Grand Canyon

http://www.thecanyon.com/nps/index.htm Grand Canyon Association site

Too vast & spectacular to describe. Southern & Northern rims offer different views. South rim very busy - expect difficulties in parking at view points (crowded) during summer. North rim (closed in winter) limited lodgings - reservations necessary even for campground. Mule trips booked up to a year in advance. Hardy hikers can hike to bottom for overnight trip - also booked far in advance. Scenic views along drive. (MUST SEE)

IMAX Theater: http://www.imaxtheatre.com/gcimax/index.htm Located in Tusayan, 8 miles south of the western entrance (AZ 64/US 180; South Rim of Grand Canyon), this 3-camera movie presents amazing views of Canyon areas. Shows daily at half past the hour. Get there early as it will be crowded (MUST SEE)

Steam Train: http://www.thetrain.com/ Runs out of Williams, AZ (I40 west of Flagstaff). Fun - not true coal-burning train (uses a separate 'steam generator'). Allows 3 hour stay at rim of Canyon.

Old Oct 6th, 1997, 11:38 PM
Tricia

Hi, We are going to Grand Canyon this year, between Xmas and New Years. Ten or eleven years ago took my son who was a toddler at the time. Do keep ahold of them, or even use one of those leash things. But we enjoyed it very much. Yes, the North rim is closed, but the South Rim was very uncrowded. We loved the cold weather- 30-40 degrees.

Old Oct 26th, 1997, 04:38 PM
Karen

Thunderbird Lodge on the rim of the Grand Canyon-phone directly 1-520-638-2631... you register at the Bright Angel Lodge and eat there or El Tovar Hotel right next to it. In Sedona-Poco Diablo-phone directly 1-520-282-7333, it has a little golf course right outside the rooms where the children could run around a little bit...also has a good restaurant, Shugrue's Hillside Grill has good food and views, is close to Poco Diablo and suitable for children. In my 96 AAA book, Thunderbird Lodge shows$96-106, two beds...Poco Diablo shows $135-185. Don't believe we have ever paid as high as those prices any time we've been there.

Old Oct 28th, 1997, 04:51 PM
julie

We travelled same route last May with two toddlers. Bring cassette tapes (Wee sing), toys (stock pile those Happy Meal toys so they have a "new" toy, and you won't feel guilty if it gets lost on vacation), snacks, a portable potty chair, and first aid supplies (both of our kids fell down and cut themselves on the sharp rocks). Yes, hang on tight to your kids when you get out of the car the terrain is steep and rough at the GC; and it was so windy in some areas I was afraid my two little ones would blow away. Don't be discouraged though, our girls loved the sights and the trip, and so did we.

Old Oct 28th, 1997, 09:03 PM
Polly

In Sedona, try the Best Western Inn of Sedona...wonderful rooms with fantastic views and rates in summer are in the 90's...probably more at the time you are going. Call Best Western 800 number...they give better rates than the hotel direct!