Reload this Page >

Grand Canyon in January

Search

Grand Canyon in January

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 1999, 05:45 AM
Roy Ramthun

Grand Canyon in January

Is it worth trying to see the Grand Canyon during a winter month, like January?

Old Oct 11th, 1999, 07:08 AM
Judy

Ray,
Last December (during the week before Christmas) we spent a night at the Grand Canyon at the El Tovar (South Rim). Although it was cold and really windy (and started to snow the day we left), we had a great time. We drove our car both directions along the rim and stopped at most of the outlooks, visited the Indian museum, saw the IMAX movie, and viewed the sunset (and sunrise the next morning) while sitting at a table by the window in the El Tovar dining room. The lack of crowds was nice -- I appreciated the chance to look at the canyon in relative solitude.

Old Oct 11th, 1999, 08:39 AM
Bob Brown

Ditto on the other remarks. I was not there in January, it was early March.
But it was still winter and cold and relatively free of crowds. If you have warm clothing, it should be no problem.

Old Oct 11th, 1999, 03:30 PM
Larry

South Rim can be fantastic with snow. North Rim is closed after October.

Old Oct 11th, 1999, 04:27 PM
Lola

Did it last January and the weather was balmy (we lucked out).

Dress in layers just in case and you'll have the place to yourselves, it will seem.

Definitely worth it!!

Old Oct 29th, 1999, 01:01 AM
ian

Hey Roy

Four years ago we went to the canyon in the middle of January for the first time. It was awesome! Allow yourself some extra time in case of snow. The first day was beautiful and clear. The second day was getting hazy (smog from LA blowing through). The third day we woke to heavy snow and some fog. On our way out we stopped for one last look (at the fog). We were standing on this ledge that we had been to the day before, so we knew there was a huge drop off just over the rail. It started to softly snow when a huge cow (raven) flew out of the fog! Amazing sight and three days of total contrast! Go! Keep an eye on the weather channel. We are flying to Canada from Australia this January and have decided to tack on Vegas, the canyon and LA to the end of our trip as we enjoyed it so much last time. Might see you there in Jan!

Ian

Old Oct 29th, 1999, 05:20 AM
Al

The great crowds are gone, leaving all that space, beauty, and silence just for you to enjoy in peace. As posted above, only the South Rim is open. Altitude: 7,000 ft. Weather: generally fair, but with occasional storms -- which can add a special dimension to the Grand Canyon. Drive sensibly, don't rush, dress in layers. Why not tack on a stay in gorgeous Sedona while there? See the web site: sedonachamber.com

Old Dec 1st, 1999, 08:02 AM
Tricia

Roy,
You should definitely go for it. We went to the Canyon in February and it was spectacular. No crowds to contend with. We did luck out and have sunny weather - only needed a heavy sweater on. There was a dusting of snow which just added to the beauty. I agree with Al's suggestion to tack on a day or two in Sedona. It's a two hour car ride and absolutely beautiful.

Old Dec 2nd, 1999, 08:30 AM
sarozen

I used to live in Flagstaff, AZ (a little over an hour from the Grand
Canyon). The canyon is beautiful in
the winter but you must be prepared for
the possibility of cold temperatures(it
got down to 24 below one January when I
lived there) and lots of snow (averages
about 100 inches a year). Of course,
you may be lucky and have sunshine--it's
hard to tell. I would also recommend visiting Sedona--it's much lower (5,200
feet) and gets a lot less snow than Flagstaff. If you make it to that area
be sure to drive (and hike) Oak Creek Canyon (on the backroad 89A between Flagstaff and Sedona. If you have more time, Monument Valley, Bryce, Zion and Mesa Verde are all beautiful places in the winter.