Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Grand Canyon in early August w/ young kids North or South Rim?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 04:04 PM
Jennie Lee

We are planning a trip to Grand Canyon in August with two young kids and teenager do you recommend that we head for the North Rim to avoid crowds or stick to South Rim with more variety of activities albeit commercial. The little ones are too young to do any hiking and probably would be more interested in train trip etc. but crushing crowds are no fun either. Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 08:31 PM
kkj

I would do the south rim. More to do with the kids. I'm not sure what train you are talking about. Is it the Grand Canyon Railroad? Or are you thinking of the tram on the South Rim. The Grand Canyon Railroad is a train ride to the Canyon and doesn't really tour the Canyon. The tram at the South Rim takes you to different viewpoints around the canyon. I also recommend that you stop in Tuscyan and do the IMAX theatre. As to the crowds, yes August is more crowded, but the crowds have been really slim this year and attendance is way down. It shouldn't be too bad to visit then.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 08:34 PM
Bob Brown

If the children are easily bored, then stick to the South Rim because there is more to do.
Boredome of course is a state of mind at which most teen agers excel these days. I think it is because in school, all activities are planned. Nothing is spontaneous anymore. I played baseball almost everyday as a youngster, with rarely any adult supervision. If we had 6 guys on a team so be it; we adjusted the rules to fit the people available. Today, that kind of adjustment to the situation never happens. It is all regimentation complete with adults who froth at the mouth.
You can get away from the crushing crowds easily enough at the South Rim.
Just do your canyon viewing 50 yards away from the overlooks. For example, the West Rim Drive is served by shuttle trams all day long. If you walk along the trail 50 yards from an overlook, you will have a bit of solitude.
Just don't let children start chasing each other.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 01:34 AM
Linda

We visited the South Rim late July two years ago and the crowds were indeed CRUSHING. If you're staying actually IN the park, I'd think you'd be okay: walking around and using the park trams to get around. But if staying outside the park, trying to find parking once you get there was near impossible.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 03:25 AM
joan

Two years ago we took our two young teens to North Rim. It was a 2-week trip from LA to LVegas to Grand Canyon to friends in Colorado. Well, the heat was so incredibly intense - way over 100 degrees in LV. The detour to the Grand Canyon was such a relief. I understand the north rim is slightly cooler - I know we noticed and appreciated it. And that always helps the grouchy factor with kids. ALSO - the best part: we rode the mules in a last-minute add-on trip. This was the best part of the whole vacation for my kids. They still talk about it. Don't k now the minimum ages, but between this and the weather, I'd choose the North Rim. Absolutely gorgeous - and Bob's right - teens will act bored no matter what! Mine actually said, at the first view, "are we done looking at the rocks yet"? Grrrrr! Have fun!