Reload this Page >

Grand Canyon in a day?

Search

Grand Canyon in a day?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 06:47 AM
jsmith

Grand Canyon in a day?

Is it worth it to drive from Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon if you only have one day to do it? Are the helicopter trips safe?

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 07:17 AM
rqf

Figure at least 5 hours drive time each way. Assuming a 15 hour day (8am until 11pm) you will have five hours at the Gr.Canyon. You won't be able to do much else but you can view the canyon from various viewing points on the east and west rim drives. It is 275 miles from LV to the Gr. Canyon.

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 07:23 AM
Al Godon

I think the decision you have to make is this: Will 10 hours of driving for 4 hours of viewing be worth sacrificing a day at the tables?

You really think so?
If you decided to see the canyon, I suggest that you find a place to park and then take the shuttle along the West
Rim Drive. It stops at every overlook going out, so you can get off, view, and take the next tram. Coming back, the stops are less frequent.
We were there last year, and I think that the best views are from the various view points along the West Rim and at Yaqi Point, which was closed to private cars. (Take the shuttle bus.)

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 08:44 AM
GOL

Yes. Viewing the GC once is a human requirement.

Surprising fact: Per NPS statistics, the average visitor to the Grand Canyon spends ~30 minutes (28) viewing the canyon - that is actually looking from a view point. The average total time spent in the park grounds was a few hours. Many people visit the GC in a similar fashion - day trips.

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 10:30 AM
Dave

Take a helicopter tour over the Canyon.There are several tour companies flying out of the Grand Canyon Airport.I would recommend the Papillon Grand Canyon Helicopter company. We took the 45 minute trip and it was the most unbelieveable experience you could have seeing this magnificent place.We were there in October and didn't need reservations for the tour but suggest you check before hand depending on when you go.We did feel very safe on the helicopter.

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 11:28 AM
Riki

A few years ago I was in Los Vegas and took the flight over the Grand Canyon from the Los Vegan airport, which included the bus from the airport near the Canyon, lunch (not very good) and a few hours at the Canyon. It was October, so the South Rim was not opened, but even from the Rim which was accessible, the views were wonderful. I paid $150 for the day trip and to me it was terrific. I only had 1 day to do this, so it was well worth it for me. I actually met a family from the same town I live in just north of New York City! A great wonder of the world - even for 1 day.
hope it works for you.

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 03:14 PM
Susan

I have been to theGrand Canyon sevral times. It is an amazing view and well worth the drive. I have seen the North and South Rim. If you had the time you can get a train ride to the Grand Canyon from Williams (outside Flagstaff). There is a package for 2 nights and theday in the Grand CAnyon. If you can't the trip will be worth the view if you et good weathr. One time I was there and it was cloudy (April) and you could not see anything for hours. HOpe the weather isgood for you enjly.

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 04:22 AM
Cheryl

Check out this site: www.actiontours.com. This company runs all types of tours, but the one I am specifically referring to is (I think) is scenic tour #9. They pick you up in a 4 wheel drive type SUV or van. There are generally no more than 8 people, but when my husband and I went we were the only ones, so we basically had our own private tour. Anyhow, on this tour you see the Grand Canyon from the Houlipai Indian Reservation, which is not as far east from Vegas as the South Rim, which is part of the GC Nat'l Park. That is where all the tourists go. On the Indian Reservation, there are NO guard rails. You see the Canyon in the most natural of settings. There were no other people there when we were. Also, this tour takes you down to the bottom of the Canyon - right to the edge of the Colorado River. There is a road on this reservation....it is the only road that goes down to the river. You'll see the Grand Canyon from the top looking down, and from the bottom looking up - all in one day, and you don't have to hike a few days to do it. It's a long day (7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.), but how else can you see the Grand Canyon like this and be back in time to spend you evening in Vegas.