Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Grand Canyon from Las Vegas: bus or helicopter? Help please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be in Vegas next Nov and want to go to Grand Canyon. i've been there once,, took a train in Williams. DH has never been there. But now can't decide between a bus or helicopter tour. Both have pros and cons. Help please!!!!
Old May 15th, 2011, 01:05 PM

I've never done either, but I just wanted to point out that if you do a bus trip make sure it goes to the South Rim and not just to the West Rim on the Indian Reservation.

Utahtea
Old May 15th, 2011, 04:57 PM

Jut rent a car and drive there your self. It will take about 5 hours to the south rim. Driving there yourself will give you more flexibility. Of course, it is always better to spend the night inside the park at one of the rim lodges.

And I agree, don't go to the so-called "west rim".
Old May 15th, 2011, 08:01 PM

I work on the strip and talk to lots of people who do the helicopter trip. They say it is amazing, expensive, and the highlight of their trip. Some land in the canyon for a picnic, others for a horseback ride, and some have other itineraries. If you can afford it, definitely look into that option. The tourists I take to who take the bus, usually say they enjoyed the canyon, but it was a very long trip. Definite difference in their exp. of the to adventures.
Old May 16th, 2011, 03:12 AM

Our first trip to the Canyon, several years ago was on a small plane that flew over lake Meade, up the canyon and landed at an airport near the south rim. Then they gave us lunch, took us on a bus a short way to the south rim. We went to a few view points, Bright Angel, Hermit's Rest and then flew back to Vegas before night. It was a nice overview and if you don't have much time would be a way to see it without the drive. We were impressed enough that we've been back at least six times. If you have the time, I would agree that driving there and spending the night would be my first choice.
Old May 16th, 2011, 07:10 AM

First, do you have only these two options only? (Bus or Helicopter) If so, and if you can afford Helicopter tour - go for it. Don't do west rim tour (by either bus or helicopter) - its not worth.

But if you have time to drive to grand canyon, then it is highly recommanded!
Old May 17th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

Helicopter tour it is. Thank you all!