Search

Grand Canyon during the winter

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Canyon during the winter

Hi everyone,

I am planning a trip to the U.S. during the winter but I don't know where to go yet. One thing is for sure, I would like to visit a National Park. I've already been to the Grand Canyon and the Great Smoky Mountains Natl' parks but never during the winter. Are they open (I will probably go in January). Is it a good ideia to vidit these places in this time of year or should I consider cancelling my trip and go during July Any advice will be appreciated, thanks to all of you
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 08:25 AM

How about Everglades National Park?

I have always wanted to visit Yellowstone in Winter, I understand it is fantastic. If you make that choice, bundle up!

Personally I would not see the need to return to Grand Canyon from out of the country.
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 08:36 AM

The south rim is open during the winter. The north rim is not.

In the same area of the country, Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon are also options. There are a number of other parks in the area but my favorites in winter are Zion and Bryce. Zion is at a somewhat lower elevation than Bryce. Both can get cold but Bryce can get frigid. Be prepared to dress accordingly.
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 08:39 AM

Yellowstone during the winter is awesome. You either take a snow coach in or rent snow mobiles with a guide (very fun). I can highly recommend it.

The Smokies in the winter is nice too--fewer people and the trails are actually easier because all the tree roots are covered and the path is actually smoother.

Glacier and Rocky Mountain N.P.'s will be closed--well the main road through.

Yosemite would be nice.
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 12:10 PM

I once hiked down into the Grand Canyon during the winter. At the South Rim, it had just started snowing. We descended into layers of fog that only allowed about 1/4 mile of visibility at a time. I started peeling off layers after a couple of miles. At the river, it was 70 degrees!! We stayed a day, then reversed all the above for our hike out. It was an awesome trip.