Grand Canyon 7 day itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2015, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have seen some posts on this topic but non specifically address my desired trip/itinerary. Welcome recommendations on 7 day itinerary flying into and out of Phoenix. Interested in visiting Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Monument Valley and Mesa Verde. Welcome suggestions.
Old Aug 20th, 2015, 03:16 PM

You're going to spend most of your 7 days driving and not have much time in any one park.

Mesa Verde really needs at least one full day so spend two nights here. I guess I'd recommend Bryce the other place to spend two nights. The rest of the time it's going to have to be just one night so you will have to drive and tour, spend the night and move on.

Day 1: Phoenix to Grand Canyon is 250 miles drive, see some over looks spend the night.

Day 2: Grand Canyon to Bryce is 290 miles drive. Stop at some of the overlooks as you exit the park. Spend the night in or near Bryce.

Day 3 Spend the day touring and hiking Bryce Canyon

Day 4: Up early and move from Bryce to Monument Valley is 280 miles. Do a tour of the park. If you are in a rental car you aren't going to want to drive it on the sandy/dirt scenic drive. Spend the night in Gouldings or Kayenta, AZ.

Day 5: Get up early and move from Monument Valley to Mesa Verde is 135 miles. You should be able to see some of the park today and spend the night. Spend the night in the park or a town nearby.

Day 6: Get tickets to do one or two of the Ranger lead hikes. There are three Ranger hike depending on the time of the year but you're only suppose to do two in one day. Spend the night.

Day 6: Mesa Verde back to Phoenix is 420 miles

What time of the year are you doing this trip?

Utahtea
Old Aug 21st, 2015, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks this is very helpful. And, confirming what I suspected is an ambitious trip. We are going end of September.
Old Aug 21st, 2015, 10:53 AM

Make a stop in Sedona on the way from Phoenix to Grand Canyon. Red rocks are breathtaking.
Old Aug 23rd, 2015, 02:48 PM
ltt

try to get a flight that arrives early in the morning and head off to sedona for the day / night and maybe the next morning. are you planning on just looking at the grand canyon (sunset, sunrise 1 night) or hiking which means you'd need 2-3 nights. reservations on the rim can be pretty tough to get. accommodations in bryce can be tough too. i'd cut out either bryce or monument valley and mesa verde. figure out which ones suite your needs better. remember it will be very hot and you may not be able to hike the distances you are planning.