Reload this Page >

Got a question for the downhill skiers

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 05:26 PM
Texas Aggie

We are considering Mt. Bachelor Ski Resort in Redmond Oregon this year at Christmas, but I have heard it is not a good family friendly mountain- too difficult for us "once a year" skiers. Can someone give me some honesty about the difficulty of the mountain and the things for a family to do in the area around Redmond, Oregon.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 08:13 AM
Gayle

First things first. Mt.Bachelor is not at Redmond -- it's a bit out of Bend. Skiing from Redmond would be at Hoodoo - possibly slightly damper.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 08:18 AM
SkiNC

Aggie, you might want to try posting this question at http://www.epicski.com/
Great Ski Forum and many informed die hard skiers. Hope you get some powder!

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 08:57 AM
novice

I'm not much of a skier myself, but I've found plenty of skiable slopes at Mt. Bachelor (I live in Oregon and have skiied there a few times). Lots of family activities in the Bend/SunRiver area.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 11:39 AM
Sara

Redmond seems a bit far from Mt. Bachelor - it is probably over an hour drive to the mountain. Not a big deal but there are other places that are nice and closer.

I used to ski at Mt. Bachelor then got scared of it (wasn't good enough, wearing the right stuff - teenage stuff) and haven't been back. It is fairly expensive and I prefer Hoodoo (closer and cheaper for me since I am also a once-a-year skier). However Mt. Bachelor is a very nice mountain and I think has runs for every skill level. They even have a tubing hill/lift.

Is there a reason you are staying in Redmond? You didn't ask but other places you may enjoy are Inn of the Seventh Mountain and Sunriver. Personally I love Sunriver (very much looking forward to our annual sojourn in 3 weeks!).

I don't know what there is to do in Redmond, but there is the High Desert Museum outside Bend (between Sunriver and Bend) a very nice museum.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 03:14 PM
Skier

Personally I would rather ski in Colorado than Oregon. Steamboat, Keystone or Breckenridge are great for families.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 03:35 PM
Rick

Mt. Bachelor is IMHO the best ski area in Oregon. And no, not to difficuult for once a year skiers. Check out Sunriver or Inn at Seventh mountain..LOTS to do at both.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 11:24 AM
Sara

So let us know what you have decided!