...good way to split grocery costs?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mother, sister and I are going to the Michigan UP for a week. We'll be staying in my brother's cabin. We all have special food items we need for health reasons (lactose intolerant sis, I have IBS, etc.) But we can also eat many of the same items. Any recommendations on an EASY way to split the costs?
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 12:15 PM

You want EAZY - Go to the grocery store, buy what you need, total up purchases, divide by 3 - SIMPLE.
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 12:17 PM

If it's important to split the costs, the easiest way, of course, is divide by 3.

Other than that, it's each brings their own or buys their own when there, imo.
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 12:24 PM

Is one individual's special items food much more expensive than another's special food items? If not then how about all three recognizing that the diferences are minimal or nil and then splitting the cost by 3.

If one person's food is substantially more expensive to the point where someone in the family will grow resentful having to pay for the additional 1/3 of the cost then that person should offer to bear the cost of their substantially more expensive food to maintain peace between family members.

Old Aug 10th, 2008, 12:26 PM

Well said by Suzie and others too. I've done similar on family vacations. Things usually balance out.
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks to all. Yes, some of the special food items are quite high. The objection is mostly coming from one person. We may just have to do our own thing. Just thought there might be something out there none of us had thought of. Thanks for your time.
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 12:42 PM

That's too bad that someone can object to something so small when spending a week with mom and sis or both DDs in a loacation they don't have to pay for.

Good luck. Hope you have a wonderful visit.
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 12:45 PM

ON the rare times we have done this, we set up a kitty . . everyone throws in $50 to fund it, when it runs down, everyone throws in another $50.

Cuts down on the petty bickering
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 12:49 PM

LOL Rich that sounds good in theory but then there is the person who watches what everyone eats or drinks and feels like they didn't get their fair share. Pettiness is an amazing vacation killer. It's best when everyone goes to have a good time and doesn't notice those things because in reality they had enough food and enough drink. <-- best if there is plenty of drink!
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 12:52 PM

Assuming you are all driving -

"I know we all have certain foods we like/need. Let's pick up our own ( ) and then all go to the store together when we get there to pick up whatever else we need." Divide that bill by 3.

Sounds like someone is nickle and diming the situation. I agree with poster who said what is the big deal - if it were me, I would even pay for the whole amount for the time together.
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 12:54 PM

I feel the same way gail. I'd pay the whole bill. But then I'd have to wrestle my mom in the store who would insist on paying the whole bill. It's nice not to have these issues - no we just have others!
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 01:03 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If one person is kvetching about this - she is bound to kvetch about other things too. Dividing by 3 is the easiest. But if she won't do it, let her buy her own stuff. Everything - not just some of her own, but everything she plans to eat.

The other 2 can then buy for two and divvy things up 50/50. The odd man out will probably still kvetch - but she'll have what she wants to eat and won't have to pay an extra penny.

The bookkeeping will be easier that way.
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 01:33 PM

Take turns preparing a meal each night, aware that said meal will have to be appropriate for each food interest. No lactose, no wheat, in the recipe.

The final night will be a dinner out, dutch.

Old Aug 10th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

I love beentheretwice's suggestion and I think we will buy breakfast and lunch foods, special items included, and split that 3 ways, then handle dinners beentheretwice's way! Thanks again!
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 01:58 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Can you all cook ?? Well?

Is there an even number of days ??

Just asking - because IF one of you is concerned about exact expenses - even that solution can be full of quick sand.
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 02:22 PM

The only problem with alternating/splitting meals is that there are certain staples that must be bought for the week. Since it is your brother's cabin, some of these may already be there. Things like toilet paper, salad dressing, salt and pepper, milk, coffee. Do you really want 3 bas of coffee, 3 gallons of milk for cereal?
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 02:34 PM

Well, if one person is balking at splitting things three ways it's probably because she is the one who perceives she eats the least expensive items. I can't believe that a week's worth of "special needs items" when the cost is pooled and split three ways is going to be overly burdensome for anyone but then again you've obviously got a very frugal person in your group.

Best way in this instance is for the three of you to go shopping together. Have one basket filled with staple items you all will use - you can have these rung up seperately and split the cost 3 ways. You each than make seperate purchases for those special needs items you each need.

I fear no matter what you do the "odd one out" in your party may never be happy with the arrangement, whatever you decide.
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 02:42 PM

This may sound like oversimplification, but I have a policy never to travel with anyone so picky about the costs that we won't be comfortable splitting them evenly and assuming we'll all come out about even. It's just no fun doing it any other way.
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 03:39 PM

If everyone is agreeable, the kitty system is great. I just spent 3 weeks in Europe with a friend and I can't tell you how much easier it made our trip. We only paid out of our own pockets if one of us was buying something personal.
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 06:28 PM

The easiest way is to just pool money and divide everything by 3, but it sounds like one petty person is going to whine about perhaps perhaps paying a little more than their share. What a shame that they can't be thankful about spending time with family in a cabin they're getting for free.

If someone is going to be that petty, it's hard to do any "pooled" item with that person. Are they also going to be checking to see who had the largest portions or who had dessert to make sure they pay extra?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -