Reload this Page >

Good restaurants in Myrtle Beach area?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 08:29 AM
travelbug

Can anyone suggest good restaurants that are not all-you-can-eat buffets or chain restaurants which seem to dominate the area? Would love something on the water in Murrells Inlet or just over the Border of N.C. in Southport. Any suggestions?

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 08:33 AM
Leone

I'm going to be in the MB area (N. at Sunset Beach, NC)in early July, and I'd love to know the answer to Travelbug's question. I've been searching for just such a place for the past three years, and nada so far. Anyone know any good places? Ciao

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 09:35 AM
chuck

Like finding decent shells along the grand strand beach, you'll have to look carefully for good non-chain restaurants. As my wife & I frequent the area, here's what we have found (or heard about) that might fit the bill. One caveat, there's very little actually on the beach, other than my first entry below. (With the notable exception that we never seem to venture down to Murrell's Inlet, so I can't comment on what restaurants might be on the marshes & waterways there).

1. Sea Captain's House. Oceanfront around 71st avenue North. A local favorite; food is fresh, good quality, simple (but not the ubiqitous fried stuff you see on *restaurant row*).
2. Atlantic Grille. In MB on business 17. A newcomer that tries pretty hard, has a good selection of fairly creative fresh fish entrees, and is elegant (for MB) but casual. We've enjoyed our meals there.
3. Parson's Table. This is in Little River, so it is very convenient to Sunset L. A very nice little restaurant in an old (former) church. Lots of charm, and the food's definitely a cut above the norm for the area.
4. Rossi's. Fairly upscale Italian in the Galleria shopping center in NMB (restaurant is much more elegant than its yucky location would suggest).
5. Collector's Cafe. This was favorably written up in Southern Living (or Coastal Living--can't remember which). In MB on business 17 I believe. We haven't tried it yet, but it sounds very creative, is prix fixe, and boasts a chef who seems to have honed his skills outside of MB.
6. Flamingo Grill. This is in MB also, business 17. It is a sister restaurant of the awfull (I think) Cagney's. Lots of fish entrees in a modern setting. Used to be one of our favorites, but the prices have gone up some (perhaps $24 per entree) and the quality does not seem as good as some of the restaurants mentioned above. Still, a decent choice.
7. Chestnut Hill. Just south of the walmart on business 17 NMB. Good little restaurant with nice lake view. Don't make the mistake of going to next-door neighbor, Chesapeake, or ordering the early bird special (quality sacrificed compared to regular offerings and specials.
8. Greg Norman's Australian (of course) Grille. Haven't been there, but a friend (and critics) raves about it. In Barefoot Landing in NMB on business 17. Pricey but said to be worth it.
9. Thoroughbred's. On business 17 (aren't they all?). Haven't been there, but this is an old, fairly formal, and popular restaurant by all indications.
10. Duffy Street Seafood Shack (or Market--I can never remember which). In Cherry Grove in North NMB. This is a rustic experience. The place is truly a shack, with inside & outside dining (drinking & carousing too) at picnic tables. But I swear you will not get better shellfish (shrimp, oysters, mussels), crabs, and if you're lucky, surprisingly good chef's special fish entrees. Beware, wine is served in plastic cups (order a corona instead)--not for the faint of heart, but one of my personal favorites for pure gastronomical delight.

Plenty more I've probably overlooked, but finding them is half the fun.

Have a great time!

P.S. L, I am jealous of your stay at Sunset. Haven't been in a while. Probably the best all-around beach (for my tastes anyway) I've ever visited. Certainly the quintessential NC/SC non-resort beach.

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 10:04 AM
travelbug

Thanks Chuck. Duffy Street Seafood sounds like my kind of place. We'll definitely check it out!
We've eaten at Chestnut Hill and did enjoy it, although the kids weren't thrilled. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 12:59 AM
Andy

Hi- Umberto's Rest. at Barefoot Landing a terrific--
Collector's Cafe was wonderful when we tried it last year.
In Murrells Inlet- try Flo's place-definitely a blue jean place-has crabs and clambake and IS on the inlet-can sit outside ( in the heat) or inside in the A/C

We found the Flamingo Grill overpriced for the service and quality of food-We chose the Collector's Cafe over it.

THoroughbred's is terrific but probably the MOST expensive of the buch listed. We go to Myrtle every year and we usually stick with the above and try to add one new rest. to see how it rates with the old standbys.

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 05:03 AM
chuck

Andy,

We've noticed Umberto's but have not eaten there yet--is it Italian? What do you like best there?

Also, have you tried Sea Merchant's House (not Sea Captain's) or Oak Harbor, both in NMB? If so, what do you think? My wife & I are in NMB a lot, and we're trying to expand beyond our tried & true favorites. We'll definitely try Collector's on your recommendation.

Thanks!

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 12:52 PM
rus

Sea Captains House is wonderful, and has been my fav for 30 years. Great food , and is open for breakfast....we like to walk there ( on the beach side ) from our hotel, for breakfast or lunch. We carry our shoes as they are required ! Also, Chesapeake House has THE best hushpuppies made ! We loved them as kids and scarfed them up as adults just as fast.....rub them in the butter pats for a flavor sensation !!

Old Jun 16th, 2001, 07:13 AM
Jackie

Also a great Italian Restaurant in little River is Chianti South...we love n. myrtle and have just begun to spend some serious time there...the bistro in conway also very nice....can anyone tell me what the area is like in summer months???? we are usually there april and may and oct-dec...

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 05:45 AM
chuck

Jackie,

From our experience, the NMB summer rental season starts in earnest about the second week of June and runs through about the third week in August. NMB becomes very crowded--specifically, the beaches are pretty full, traffic on business 17 is heavier, and restaurants are more crowded. Also, getting into and out of NMB (via nearly any route) you are subject to pretty lengthy delays.

Interestingly, we have found NMB (at least our little slice of it in Crescent Beach) NOT to be insanely crowded on Memorial Day, Labor Day or Easter.

My wife & I have been falling in love with this area for the last 5 years. My take on summer crowding (if we lived there for instance) is that the summer rental season would be a great time to vacation away from NMB. As I am sure you have found out, NMB is absolutely wonderful from September through at least the first couple of weeks of November, and then from late March through early June.

Also, thanks for the tip about Chianti South!