Reload this Page >

Good restaraunt in Boston

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2001, 12:22 PM
Millie

Hello all, I am looking for a good restaraunt in Boston. I will only be there one night and want to have a great seafood dinner while I am there. Also if anyone knows of a good pub or a place to listen to a good live band. Any information woulb be helpful. Thanks alot!

Old Nov 18th, 2001, 01:14 PM
Parrot Mom

Avoid the touristy and very, very expensive Legal Seafood. There is a great place called Skipjack's on Clarendon Street (arround the corner from Boylston Street--one block...just before the Prudential Building), right across from the Trinity Church, the quality is excellent and the prices moderate. As for the pubs with music I'll let everybody else chime inj..

Old Nov 18th, 2001, 01:47 PM
millie

thank you for the tip, i need any info i can get!

Old Nov 18th, 2001, 02:10 PM
Dottie

Durgen's Park was recommened to us 20 yrs ago and the restaurant bragged that they had been there for decades. We had wonderful lobster and the prime rib flowed over the plates. No atmosphere. I think it even had oil clothes on the tables but the food was great...don't even know if they are still there.

Old Nov 18th, 2001, 02:16 PM
millie

thanks dottie!

Old Nov 18th, 2001, 03:04 PM
Jen

Food is marginal at Durgin Park...it's a tourist trap.

Skipjack's is great....as is Grillfish on Columbus Ave. Skipjack's is a little more Boston than Grillfish though...so I'd go there.

Also, I haven't been, but hear it's great, is Kingfish Hall in Faneuil (sp) Hall. Todd English's seafood joint has received good reviews.

Enjoy!

Old Nov 18th, 2001, 03:07 PM
milllie

thanks jen

Old Nov 18th, 2001, 07:50 PM
Donna

Sadly, we found Kingfish Hall to be a "tourist trap", a description I do my best to refrain from using. The food is fabulous, if overly pricey, and the service is wonderful, but the portions of some offerings are ridiculous. The crabcakes, for example, are the size (and shape) golf balls, all two of them. The concierge wherever you're staying is probably your best source of recommendation. There's fine seafood all over Boston - you don't have to visit a seafood-specific restaurant. There aren't that many good, live bands around any more, except weekends, and how good they are is subject to your preferences. See www.boston.com, then "Calendar" for live music.

Old Nov 18th, 2001, 08:39 PM
Seamus

A few weeks ago when in Boston for one night I tried, on a local friend's recomendation, the Daily Catch in the North End. Talk about terrific food! They are famous for their black ink pasta, which I enjoyed thoroughly. Forget atmosphere unless reverse chic is your thing - there are maybe 6 or 8 tables total, and the chef is visible from all points in the dining room. Wine selection was brief but good, food portions quite ample. And the bread was great, too! I'll definitely go back.

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 12:08 PM
sandy

Seamus is right on-
The North End would be a fabulous place to go. The Daily Catch (aka The Calamari Cafe) is not a tourist trap (although lots of tourists go), it is the real deal. For that matter, most of the North End restuarants arew very good. All Italian and the seafood is usually very fresh.

Also recommend in the North End- Cantina Italiana on Hanover Street and Maurizio's, also on Hanover STreet. As a Bostonian, I woud lrecommend without heaitation.

Personally, I think Legal Seafood is better than Skipjack. yes, it is pricey but the quality is excellent and portion size is very good. Durgin Park you can skip and the Union Oyster House (for dinner) though the Oyster Bar can be alot of fun.

Bars- House of Blues in Harvard Square is fun as is Harper's Ferry in Allston. Depends on your taste in music and what night of the weeke you will be there.

If you end up eating in the North End, the Quincy Market/Fanueil Hall area is close by. Yes, it's tourist central but there are some fun bars with music, right there.

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 12:57 PM
Wendy

A friend and I made it our mission to eat lobster everynight while in Boston in Feb. Out of all the places we ate we actually thought Legal Seafoods was the best and not the most expensive. We were staying in back bay and went to one of the newer ones between BackBay and the Commons- not in the mall. Just my 2 cents!

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 01:32 PM
pam

I had the good fortune to be treated to lunch last Friday by a Boston local during a long layover (friend of a friend). She took us to a place in east Boston called Jeveli's (I think was the name). It was a wonderful experience - lots of local flavor, a place where everyone seemed to know everyone else. We ate "upstairs" at the White House. Incredible food, focus on Italian, and I believe there was seafood on the menu. The clam clowder was fabulous. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Pamela

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 05:13 AM
vicki

If only in Boston for one night, and want sure-bet and quality seafood, then I would go for the sure thing- Legal Seafoods.

Say what you will about over-rated or pricey but it is consistent and it is very, very good. If you were going to be here longer, you could try any number of places, but for a one shot deal I would go with time tested & proven. Can't go wrong!!!

(The chowder is fabulous!!)
Enjoy!