Reload this Page >

Good New York guide book

Search

Good New York guide book

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 03:16 PM
Will

Good New York guide book

There seem to be so many New York guide books can anyone suggest which one is the best to help me get the most out of our 4 day trip. I know that's not enough time to see half of the sights but I want to plan my days then ask you helful people if I'm trying to do too much/little.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 03:25 PM
Beenie

What are you into? Museums and art? Get Fodors. NYC on the cheap? Frommers. First visit? Idiots Guide to New York. Foodie? Zagat or Time Out New York Eating and Drinking Guide. Shopoholic? Gerry Franks Where to findit, buy it, eat it New York. Young and Hip? Lonely Planet or Time Out New York. See my point? There are so many books that they are geared to what people want. What would you like to do in the city?

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 03:40 PM
will

well it's our first visit & would like to see some of the main tourist sights i.e Ellis island, Empire State building, Chrysler building, United Nations. We don't mind walking but we will have 2 teenagers with us so we need to keep them happy! Also want to spend time in Central Park & If poss catch an ice hockey game?

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 03:51 PM
jane

When do you plan to visit the city?

Since 9/11, the United Nations is off limits. Closed to the public. If you take one of the tour buses you go right by it. A good way to see a lot of the city. Buses are found right in front of the Empire State Building. All sorts of tour packages. Check the internet.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 03:54 PM
Jane

http://www.shop.viator.com/brochure/featured/CITY/NEW+YORK/02

Check this website

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 04:16 PM
Beenie

Will, get the Fodors Guide.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 05:43 PM
SEH

"Eyewitness Guide to Manhattan", it's excellent. You can buy it on-line at half.com. or at any of the major booksellers.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 12:04 AM
Sue

I'd second the vote for the DK Eyewitness guide - we found it was all we needed for our recent visit (for the first time ever we abandonned our Lonely Planet at the hotel and carried the Eyewitness instead, and I never thought I'd do that!)

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 05:36 AM
Philip

I think Access: New York City guide is the best for NYC.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 07:31 AM
xx

just to correct one piece of info above, The UN is open for tours. Has been for months, at least...