Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Good independant restaurants in Long Beach, CA?

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 07:10 AM
Christo

Without going into the whole drawn out story, we will be spending about a week in Long Beach, CA and are looking for good restaurant experiences there. Traveling outside of Long Beach will NOT be an option.

We're not really interested in national chains (unless they're exceptional).

Thank you for your help.

Christo

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 07:17 AM
Jeannette

Try L'Opera. It's on the main street and anyone can guide you there. It's been great for many years...Italian.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 07:22 AM
x

we had really good mexican one night on the main street but don't remember the name.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 07:27 AM
Tom

Frenchy's Bistro at 4137 E. Anaheim St. serves excellent and inexpensive French (of course) food. Have also heard good things about Jeannette's recommendation of L'Opera.

Hey, x, could you be a little more vague?

Tom

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 07:47 AM
gail

I never found anywhere that meets your description. There is a great beer place on the waterfront village. It had good food and great service with lots of microbrews. It may be a chain though. think it is worth a trip though. I also really enjoyed the art deco Lounge on the Queen Mary. I felt the appetizer menu was better than the ship dining room. It certainly is a place that is fascinating.I am headed that way in a couple weeks so I am interested in your response post too. Thanks!

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 08:00 AM
LBgirl

Absolutely go to L'Opera, have the lobster ravioli, or the rissotto. There are many great spots in Long Beach, off the downtown path, try Christine's, it is more towards the Belmost Shore area of long Beach, but only about 5 minutes from downtown. Lasher's is also a great place, really wonderful for Sunday brunch. Don't forget to see the aquarium if you have time and enjoy! (can you tell I miss it there??????)

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 08:05 AM
JBX

Pine Street (where L'Opera is located) has several other good spots. Perhaps 'X' was thinking about the Mexican restaurant on this street as well? My suggestion is --
Alegria
115 Pine Avenue
Long Beach, CA 90802
562-436-3388

Or another section of town is the Belmont Shore area. There's an excellent place on Second St .... I'm trying to recall name.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 11:33 AM
JBX

I'm still trying to dredge up the name of that other restaurant .... meanwhile, here's another suggestion.

RAGAZZI
4020 Olympic Plaza
Long Beach, 90803
(310) 438-3773
http://www.winedineent.com/temp/intro/family.html

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 12:11 PM
xxx

I know that you said that you couldn't leave Long Beach. But if you can't leave because you won't have a car, don't forget that you could hop on the blue line and head into LA or even further into Hollywood if you want to explore.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 12:16 PM
Christo

xxx,

I'm afraid it's just not that simple...

Thanks to all for the suggestions, any more?

Christo

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 12:43 PM
JBX

Bingo ! I tracked down the name of that place thru the Zagat's website and it is --

SHENANDOAH CAFE
4722 E. Second St. (Park Ave.)
Long Beach, CA, 90803-5309
(562) 434-3469

It's one of my sister's favorites in that neighborhood (she lives in LB).

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 01:29 AM
Steve

Hope you don't mind me tagging on. I will be attending a conference in LB in Oct. Staying at Courtyard by Marriott. Any comments. Also looking for restautants near the hotel. I know there are several good ones at Belmont Shore. Travelling with family.

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 10:05 AM
Mina

Christo...

My suggestion is in Belmont Shore (it's considered Long Beach, and is a short cab ride away from Downtown, if you can get down there.) Malvasia is mediterranean, reasonably priced, and very tasty.

If you like Thai food, Phuket (pronounced "poo-ket", and not what it looks like!) in Belmont Shore is fantastic...my favorite Thai place. It's not a fancy atmosphere at all, so maybe it'd be better for lunch. I recommend the chicken panang curry there.

Both restaurants are on second street.

Enjoy!

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 10:12 AM
another

What is the name of the big white glassed in building with the red roof across the harbor from the Queen Mary? Is it a restaurant? Didn't have enough time to investitgate.

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 12:14 PM
JBX

another q,
I'm not in Long Beach often enough to know what building you're talking about --- however most of the restaurants in that area, the Village Harbor or whatever that area is called across from the Queen Mary are very average caliber restaurants. For the most part, you'll find better quality dining either on Pine St area or in Belmont Shore area of LB.

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 12:32 PM
gail

I think it is called The Lighthouse and I actually heard good things about it.

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 10:57 AM
top4more

Any more suggestions ???

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 01:03 PM
tom

up for Jack.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 04:04 PM
sully

My favorites in Long Beach... downtown/Pine Avenue area: L'Opera (Italian, pricey). Along the waterfront on Shoreline Drive are the Yardhouse (California/Asian/good burgers) and Parker's Lighthouse (decent seafood). I second the previous contributor's recommendation of Christies, which is east of downtown on Broadway and Termino... very nice. At Termino and Ocean is the Belmont pier, with two other restaurants nearby La Palapa (Latin Seafood) and Belmont Brewing (Mixed menu, very good food at fair prices, microbrews, and a nice patio.) On Second street in Belmont Shore I second the recommendations for Shenanndoah (American classic) and Malvasia (Mediterannean, great patio). I'd say the nicest of the bunch are L'Opera, Christies, Shenandoah, and Malvasia.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 04:48 PM
xxx

I lived in Long Beach about twelve years ago, and it had some really great places to eat and drink. I have not been back since, but I've heard that the Belmont Shore area has changed considerably (fewer independents, more chains). I'd be happy to share the names of my old faves and hope that they are still there and open for business.
BonnaDonna's Shorehouse - Open air casual place on 2nd Street. Great Cobb salads

DiPiazza's - Charming little Italian place in Belmont Shore

Belmont Brew Pub - Modern style brew pub with beachfront patio overlooking the Queen Mary

Murphy's Patio Pub - A old theater on 2nd Street, converted into a patio pub. Place to go for a schooner of beer.

Johnny Reb's - This place is a JOINT. Small BBQ shack featuring southern style food and a floor littered with peanut shells.

Panama Joe's - 2nd Street, beautiful bar area and a local band every night.

Parker's Lighthouse - Shoreline Drive area, cute atmosphere, good food

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -