Search

Good Farmers Markets in Areas People Travel to

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2006, 01:55 PM
emd
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Farmers Markets in Areas People Travel to

I have been cooking this afternoon w/all the fresh foods I brought home from my neighborhhod farmer's market (Burke, VA, in Fairfax couty, outside of D.C) yesterday. Made a great simple sauce w/the fresh tomatoes, basil, and garlic I bought, and am making grilled little yellow squash w/fresh herbs and cheese, all of which I bought at the farmer's market.

I enjoy going to farmer's markets when I travel and stay in a place for a week or so. I LOVE the two farmer's markets in Santa Monica, CA. The one on Sundays on Main St. and Ocean Park Blvd., in the parking lot of the Victorian (where they serve the best omelets and filled crepes, have great organic produce, live music, and even pony rides for the kids). And the one on Saturdays and Wednesdays at Arizona and 3rd St., perpendicular to the 3rd St. Promenade, w/its incredible live flowers (which inspired me to buy those great collapsable traveling vases that take shape w/warm water!) and multi-flavored nut stand and again, that great organic produce.

http://santa-monica.org/farmers%5Fmarket/

I love buying fruit andother food and flowers taking it all back to the hotel. And I have been known to bring home stuff I bought from the farmer's market- once I arrived home w/a suitcase full of clothes that smelled like basil.

So do you have any great farmer's markets to share with people who are traveling this summer, places they could go to meet some locals and fill up the fridge in the hotel or condo w/some great food for the week, or get some flowers for the room?

Old Jul 9th, 2006, 02:21 PM

St. Louis has a great market called Soulard Farmer's Market. You can check out their website at www.soulardmarket.com. Great produce (some of it local), meats and baked goods as well as some crafty items and sports apparel. It's a great place to people watch on Saturday mornings, and there is even a pet store right in the market! If you're in St. Louis, be sure to stop by - it's open Wed-Sat 7:30-5:00.
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 02:25 PM

Pike Place Market in Seattle. The flowers - all I can say is WOW!!
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 02:30 PM
emd
Original Poster

AustinTraveler, since you also mentioned flowers, here is the link to those cool travel vases. These might win the gold star of all of the travel goodies and gadgets I have ever bought. They come in very handy after a trip to a farmer's market while traveling.

http://www.travelsmith.com/ts/cookie...referring_url=
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 02:38 PM

I bought a similar plastic, fold-up vase as a souvenir in Paris - complete with an ET printed on the side. It was a great memento of Paris- but even better 'cause we had fresh flowers in our room the entire time in France.
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 02:42 PM

Portland, Oregon has a great Farmer's Market, and a few suburbs have even better ones.

Pike Place Market is great, and you don't have to wait for a Saturday to enjoy it.
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 02:46 PM

emd, I am definitely getting those vases!
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 02:58 PM

Palo Alto, California from 8am - 12 noon every Saturady from May through November. We are there every Saturday morning at 8am when they ring the bell. I just finished shelling 4 pounds of lovely peas we bought there yesterday that we are using tonight in some crazy Italian soup that Mario Batali makes. Dessert is a black raspberry tart! I love our market! If you ever find yourself in Palo Alto on a Saturday morning, go!

-Bill
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 03:05 PM
emd
Original Poster

They make good gifts too, at $14.95 for 3 of them. I've had mine for years and at least one of them goes on every trip of more than 3 days duration.

What about markets in NYC, where I am going in August? I went to one at Union Square once (Greenmarket I think it was called) on weekday. Small and nice neighborhood feel. I still recall the farm cheese I took back to the Eastgate Towers on that trip...that is where a real fridge in your room comes in very handy.

Old Jul 9th, 2006, 03:22 PM

The NYC Union Square Farmers Market is smallish on Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays. On Saturdays it seems like it more than triples in size and becomes a huge, fun, market filled with people from all over the city and flowers, plants, and food from all over the area; it is a very different experience than the one you will have on weekdays.
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 03:27 PM

I like the farmer's market in Santa Fe - especially in the fall when the whole place smells like roasted chiles! Yum!
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 03:39 PM

I'm so glad Lena reminded me about the market on Saturdays. I'd been before, but forgot how much I enjoyed it. Another "to do" for my ever-growing list for my upcoming trip.

Love the vase idea for gifts, emd. Right up my alley! Maybe birthday gifts for the girls this year!
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 04:36 PM

The Marche' Jean-Talon in Montreal is a amazing.

If you are in DC, Eastern Market is open every day and there is a huge Farmer's Market at DuPont Circle every Sunday.
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 04:41 PM

In SF, people love the Ferry Plaza Farmer's market. They do offer fresh produce and more upperscale or expensive food items.

I feel it is a bit over the top and definately does not focus on the true heart of the city, but that is just my two cents.
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 05:59 PM

Not an outdoor market but you can't beat the Berkeley Bowl in Berkeley, CA.
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 06:05 PM

Mike T is the Marche Jean-Talon only open on Saturday or is it open any other day of the week?
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 06:11 PM

International Farmer's Market just outside Atlanta--it's so cool to see all the fruits and veggies from around the world and the people watching aint' bad either! I think of it as a field trip every time we go.
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 06:13 PM
amaclise

Chicago, IL - the Green City market on Wednesday and Saturday mornings at the south end of Lincoln Park.

It's becoming legendary. And it's in a great location, across the street from the Days Inn and next to Lincoln Park Zoo, North Avenue Beach, Second City and the Old Town neighborhood.

Old Jul 9th, 2006, 06:38 PM

The USDA has a list of nationwide farmers markets at http://www.ams.usda.gov/farmersmarkets/

Worth bookmarking...
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 06:40 PM

mms mentioned the Portland Farmers Market already but here is the website..We go to the Ecco Trust Mkt every Thursday afternoon, huge fresh garden tomatoes, fresh baked cream scones, huge bouquets of flowers for $5.00, the Yankee loves the berries and cheese stands..all organic
http://www.portlandfarmersmarket.org/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -