Reload this Page >

Going to Vancouver, B.C. in July '98

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 1998, 04:56 PM
Pam

Have never been to West coast of Canada...am terribly excited, going to Vancouver for a week in July. Tell me what to see (museums, nearby outdoor activities, biking...everything!) Thanks in advance

Old May 8th, 1998, 09:50 PM
Caryl

STANLEY PARK.
Vancouver is beautiful. We loved strolling along Robson Street downtown. We recommend Hamburger Mary's (I think it's on Denman St.) A WONDERFUL city. You will find lots to do there: the forest: Stanley Park, the beaches, the markets on Granville Island, the museums. I loved our two-week stay in Vancouver. Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Old May 11th, 1998, 10:07 AM
Rita M. May

We'll be in Vancouver June 7th-8th...Interested in knowing what to see/do with only two days...
We're staying at Sylvia Hotel B&B on Gilford Street;
Will we need a passport or birth certificate?

Old May 11th, 1998, 03:07 PM
Caryl

The Sylvia Hotel is supposed to be wonderful! I know someone who just stayed there, and he loved it. It is very near a beach and nice residential area. You'll find some good restaurants just strolling. For just two days, I'd recommend going to the Granville Island market one day, buying a picnic lunch and eating it on the beach or in Stanley Park. For your second day, walk down Robson Street, maybe stop at the art museum or head all the way to Gastown (pretty touristy but also some nice shops and restaurants) and/or Chinatown to see Dr. Sun Yat-Sen gardens. Have a great trip -- I know you'll love this city!

Old May 11th, 1998, 03:08 PM
Caryl

Oh -- I forgot to tell you this. We just needed a birth certificate, I think, for customs.

Old May 12th, 1998, 05:32 PM
Nino

I had stayed only a few days in Vancouver, but managed to see a lot via Pacific Coach (?) Tours. I went up Grouse Mountain on a gondola, crossed the Capillanos Suspension Bridge, crossed to North Vancouver in a hovercraft, walked around Stanley Park, and the aforementioned downtown spots. The whole place is a gem!

Old May 15th, 1998, 03:08 PM
erin

You must see Victoria on Vancouver Island. The ferry ride is beautiful, and Victoria looks like Europe...

Old May 21st, 1998, 06:06 PM
Jen Z

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the Vancouver Aquarium at Stanley Park. I've had loads of fun there; it's not just for kids. The zoo in Stanley Park is pretty much gone now, though. Walk the outer perimeter of Stanley Park if you're up for it (it's 10 km). Try the Planetarium, and the anthropological museum (at UBC)...what else? Shopping is good at Metrotown/Eaton Centre in Burnaby (take the Skytrain) or at Pacific Centre downtown. Granville Island, Gastown (eat at the Old Spaghetti Factory, esp if you have kids). Vancouver restaurants are non-smoking, by the way. The Art Gallery, Capilano Suspension Bridge, Science World, IMAX and OMNIMAX theatres, Grouse Mountain, the Viewing Deck at Harbour Centre... Definitely stop at a tourist info booth; they have brochures for all these sights, with coupons.
Do consider a day or two in Victoria. It DOES look like Europe. I took a friend there for her first time once (I lived an hour and a half north of Victoria) and she said it was like being in "La-La Land" or DisneyLand, because downtown looks like a facade for a movie set, kind of surreal. Lots to see there, too. Excellent museum, wax museum, Craigdorrah Castle, Parliament Buildings, have tea at the famous Empress Hotel, drive through Oak Bay to look at where really rich people live...Buchart Gardens, the list goes on. Good luck deciding!!

Old May 22nd, 1998, 05:02 PM
Pam

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions concerning Vancouver. I'm really excited about this trip...will print your memo out & take it with me. I also plan to see the Crystal Gardens in Victoria, as I understand there's a display of exotic birds...we have several.
Thanks again, and please try our beautiful state of Maine for a wonderful vacation sometime, too!

Old May 22nd, 1998, 05:58 PM
Eleanor

Spent two days there...enjoyed the scenery. We did the train trip from Winnipeg to Banff and then on through to Victoria. The scenery was wonderful! It was the first time I ever saw a mountain!

Old May 25th, 1998, 10:05 AM
lucy mawdsley

i'm going to vancouver in july 98 - can anyone recommmend somewhere to stay on the first few nights - cheap and cheerful, near to as much as possible; also a restaurant that you have told everyone about!! I really enjoy food and wine - want to find a 'special' place for the first night. Any ideas???
Cheers - i can't wait