Search

going to the Keys!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 11:03 AM
karen

going to the Keys!

Hi! My fiance and I are traveling to the Keys on the 15th of Aug. We haven't made any firm plans to stay anywhere as we are looking to hopefully meet and talk to locals
and get an insite in to relocating to the islands. As we are from the Adirondacks we hope to find some "off the beaten path" type
lodging and drinking establishments!
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 11:15 AM
J T Kirk

Karen,
Do a search on this site. It's late in the day and my fingers are tired, so I can't cover all the ground you ask. Once you've done a search, I think you'll narrow down your quest. there's lots of good info here. Come back with more specific requests. Just a general observation -- it's going to be H O T.

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 12:14 PM
Mom

Our daughter has lived there for 20 + years...it's expensive and pay scales are not the best. It would help if you had a good skill/job. It took her awhile to get established and she's worked 2 jobs many times. Rents are very high, or the places that are cheaper are not too great. Check out WWW.KEYWEST.COM and you might get more information.

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 12:19 PM
Molly

KEY WEST IS THE BEST!

Wicker Guesthouse on Duval St. is excellent. They're website is: www.wickerhousekw.com.

Any bar on Duval Street is great.

Have a ball! I am jealous!

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 05:40 PM
Bruce

But karen, if your boyfriend isn't gay, why are you moving him to Key West?
Or maybe he is and he WANTS to move to Key West to conveniently stretch his wings without you knowing it---until its too late. Hmmmm.

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 04:39 AM
karen

Thank you all for your reply! Molly, looked into Wickerhouse and it sounds perfect..thank you!
Bruce, I am not here to discuss mine or anyone else sexually preferences...
To each is own.

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 04:55 AM
J T Kirk

Bruce, I say this as a friend of the Keys and the people who visit AND live there:
Please keep yourself and your narrow mind OUT of the Keys.
Thank you.

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 05:11 PM
Celeste

Key West and the Keys are a nice place to visit, but...my sister and her husband have lived there for 20 years and it's still a struggle. They make $55,000 per year but can't afford to buy a house ( adecent one in Key West is more than $200,000); they pay $1000 per month for a one bedroom apartment in Old Town.

My brother-in-law works at the Post Office (as I do) and he says they lose 20 employees per year on average because they move down there after a vacation, get a Post Office transfer, and then can't take the cost of living.

I live in Orlando and used to think about moving to the Keys, but now I just consider it a nice place to visit a few times per year!

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 06:12 PM
susan

My husband and I both love Key West. But the first time we were there, we picked up a real estate book at the airport that listed a 1,000 square foot house in Old Town for around a million dollars. That's a good indication of real estate prices. I can't imagine living there and having to earn enough to support that cost of living.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 03:43 AM
Larry

Karen- if you are intent on moving to Key West, the prices are very high. However, if you look into other areas (particularly Key Largo, Marathon, Big Pine Key)the prices are more reasonable (although still higher than most places in Florida).

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 04:33 AM
karen

Hi everyone! Yes...we have looked at the prices/cost of living in Key West...we plan to look at all the Keys during our stay..not just Key West!
I think I am more drawn to Marathon or Key Largo. Maybe live on Big Pine Key...
I guess that's why we haven't made reservations anywhere..so we can just do all the Keys..get the feel of them.
One reason why we wanted to find out places that the "locals" hang...
Anyway...thanks so much for all the info so far!