Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Going to San Deigo tomorrow-rain- what to do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2005, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband has a conference to attend tomorrow in San Diego and we will be there until the weekend. Neither of us have been there before and I thought I had some good ideas what I could do alone, and what we could do together. Unfortunately, these plans were weather permitting. Any suggestions on what we can do or how to spend our time. Any info appreciated.
Thanks.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 06:20 AM

I just checked weather.com and it says a 30-40% chance of showers through the weekend, so I doubt you'll be caught in a downpour. The good news is that most tourist attractions will be empty! If you do find yourself caught in the rain, Sea World could still be a good place to go, as the rain won't bother the animals and there are several indoor exhibits. Balboa Park may also be nice as there are many museums to keep you busy, and all the tropical foliage looks beautiful in the rain. Seaport Village has some interesting shops and galleries, as does Horton Plaza (an outdoor mall downtown, but most of the walkways are covered). Just bring your umbrella and have a good time!
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

I did pack a rain jacket, but will need to add the umbrella now. Thank you for your ideas and I think I will try to cover those. I am sure we will still have a good time.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 06:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It is indeed rainy here! And we are supposesd to have another big storm coming at the end of the week.

First, get yourselves some Chargers stuff, and avoid Mission Valley on Saturday afternoon.

You can still do most things except maybe swimming in the pool. Balboa Park is full of museums which are very interesting. The Zoo is not bad at all on wet days as there are fewer people and the animals are are active. Old Town will be wet, but still has interesting things to see and good places to eat. Mission de Alcala will be open. You can go to the Hotel Del Coronado and look around.

There will probably be some clearer times when you could go to the Cabrillo National Monument.

All the malls will be open. The best one is Fashion Valley, which is not enclosed. But you'd be in the stores anyway!

Drive carefully and enjoy!
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

My husband is upset that our flight leaves Saturday night and we can not go to the game.

Any recommendations for Mexican, Italian, American, Irish etc (no sushi or asian)?

I feel so ill prepared for this trip as it was last minute.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 07:05 AM

Wouldn't you know, I suffered through pathetic Charger teams for 10 years, then the year I move away they start winning???

It's been several months since I've been in SD so Barbara (or someone else in town) will probably give you more updated info on restaurants, but you must have seafood while you're there. I like the Fish Market on Harbor Drive downtown. For a casual lunch, Point Loma Seafood is great, but only if it's not raining, as it has a walk-up counter and you sit outside. Fish tacos are everywhere. Many people like Rubio's (a local fast food chain), but my favorites are at South Beach Bar and Grill in Ocean Beach.

For the best homestyle, authentic Italian food, I like Ciao Bella in La Mesa, but it's quite removed from the touristy areas. For atmosphere, you can't beat Il Fornaio on Coronado, with a view of downtown SD over the bay.

Mexican: my favorite is Eva's in eastern Mission Valley, again away from the tourist spots. For atmosphere, Casa de Bandini in Old Town is fun, although much of their seating is outdoors.

You can also stroll through the Gaslamp District to find a huge variety of ethnic foods.

For more info, you can do a search here for San Diego restaurants.

Old Jan 4th, 2005, 08:07 AM

A bit more upscale, but still moderate are the VG Thee Bungalow and sister 3rd Corner x the street in Ocean Beach.
George's at the Cove in LaJolla is top end. Since Fio's closed, the Gaslamp area has little attraction for me/us.
Il Fornaio is a chain, but VG also.
Breakfast at Hash Haus on 5th St is a real experience.
If you're properly dressed, the SD Zoo, Sea World and Balboa Park's indoor stuff should be VG.
Return in September/October for best weather and few tourists.
M