Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Going to Sacramento, CA, whats there to do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 1998, 01:24 PM
Debbie

Going to Saramento at the end of july, has anyone been there? Is there much to see and do?

Old Jun 14th, 1998, 04:29 AM
JohnnyBoy

Been to Sacramento many times. I live only 2 hours away. It is not a real tourist destination but there are some interesting things to see.

Make sure to visit Old Sacramento. Many interesting things to see and do. You can take a couple hour train ride down and back along the river or a boat cruise. The railroad museum is a 'must see'. It is fascinating. Visit the state Capitol buldings. If you are lucky you will be able to view the senate and/or assembly in action. In any event you can tour the buildings. The zoo, though not world class, is pretty good.

Old Jun 14th, 1998, 06:42 PM
Debbie

Thank you for answering my oustion Johnnyboy. I for sure look into the boat cruise. And old sacreamento souds good. again. thank you for anwering, it was very nice of you.

Old Jul 20th, 1998, 02:25 PM
janet

Be sure to visit Folsom Lake if visiting in the summer...they rent jet skis, parasailing, etc... Or you can kayak at Lake Natoma. Also, the American River Bike Trail is long and scenic. Thursday nights in the summer is the Thursday Night Market in downtown on K Street, very near to Old Sacramento, live music, good food. The state fair begins end of August and runs for 2 weeks. It is located at Cal Expo on Exposition Blvd. Old Town Folsom is a nice place to visit, especially on weekends...eat outside on the balcony at the Hacienda, then take in some live music at one of several clubs there. Free concerts in the park every Friday night thru summer at Cesar Chavez Park, located at 9th and J downtown. A great restaurant to try is Harlow's, they have excellent food, upscale atmosphere and a cigar bar upstairs, usually live bands on the weekends. Sacramento is great on hot summer nights!

Old Jul 21st, 1998, 02:55 PM
kam

You also will be very close to Angel's Camp and Murphy's which are the heart of the Gold Rush Country---cute towns with tales of Black Bart etc. And a visit to beautiful Lake Tahoe should be a good day trip. Sacramento is a good place to take day trips from. Enjoy.