Going to New York with 14 Year Old

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2006, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend has just invited me to join her and her 14 year old daughter on their first trip to NY. I have had very good luck with priceline.com , but since there will be 3 of us, that's not an option this time. I respect their rules and would not take the chance or ever expect to get 2 beds.

SO, we are looking for a reasonably priced (ie cheap!) hotel. Does anyone have any recommendations for under $200. I do realize how expensive NY is, but I guess I've been spoiled by priceline. Also, thanks to the wonderful advice on this board, I did get the Courtyard Times Square at Christmas for $99.
I'm hoping someone out there in Fodorland knows of some similar deal.

Also, what would be a good show for a 14 year old?

I'd be grateful for any ideas.
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 01:48 PM

If you're going at school break, you may have a hard time. If you're good on PL, one option to consider is getting 2 rooms. It could wind up costing the same and you'd have more privacy and 2 bathrooms. Otherwise, I'd consider one of the suite hotels for the 3 of you so you can get 2 beds plus a sofabed. $200 for a room for 3 may be tough though. There's a brand new Residence Inn in Times Square but it will probably be expensive. If the trip is soon, look at Travelzoo as another option. There have been some good deals on the Rihga Royal since it's under renovation. No rest. for now, but it should be fine.

A good show for a 14 year old? Hairspray, Rent, Pajama Game...Check for discounts on broadwaybox.com
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Mclaurie, what a great idea! I never thought about getting 2 rooms on Priceline, but it sounds like a good idea. Thank you.
We are actually planning on going the first weekend in April , Thurs to Mon.

And thank you for the suggestions for theatre. I have forwarded the site to the young lady for her to look at.
I think if she starts to look at some sites it will add to her excitement.

Old Feb 1st, 2006, 04:47 PM

I always stay at the Belvedere, I wa s last there over Columbus Day week pd $155 a night, fridge ,microwave, coffee etc in room..
I last saw Wicked, your daughter may enjoy that or Lion King is always great!!
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

kinsocal, Thank you. I will check out the Belvedere. How great it would be to have a microwave and fridge. A real bonus. Lets hope the price is right !
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 05:23 PM

I always stay at the Belvedere also. The rooms are big and are good for three people in a room. However, I checked for the first weekend in April, the rates are $244-$324, depending on the night and the room. I am going to NYC the week before that (last week of March). I booked my room about 5 months ago at a rate of $165. I have had the experience in the past of rates going high during sring break as mclaurie said so booked them way in advance.
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 05:25 PM

consider Wicked for the show.
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 05:39 PM

Quick check on biddingfortravel. Around your time period, the MTW 4*'s are going for around $160 Marriott Marquis, Hilton. The 3* that people seem to be winning for around $110 is the Paramount. Don't know much about it but the reviews aren't great-very small rooms. You might be able to get MTE Grand Hyatt for around $120. I like mclaurie's idea of one of the suite hotels.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 05:00 AM

The Belvedere has become so popular that they've jacked up their rates. I don't think it's really worth more than about $200/night but you might disagree. I agree with Paula that bidding on PL for 3* is "iffy". A lot of the 3* hotels have very small rooms. I would definitely try for 2 4* rooms on PL. In the meantime, the question is where to book something cancellable.

Most of the specials listed on travelzoo end by 3/31 or before. April starts busy season so prices are not very good.

Assuming you mean the 6th-10th, I checked on quikbook. The Salisbury is $203/night for a room with 2 double beds. That's a suite hotel so not sure if you'd also get a sofabed. YOu will get a kitchenette there. It's a good location near Central Park and not far from Times Square.

The Rihga Royal shows for a Royal Suite (which it says is for 2 people max but I would double check that) $249 for the first 3 nights and then $229 for the 4th night. I really think for that weekend, that's a good deal. But that might only get you a queen bed and maybe a sofabed.

You can get a 2 bedded room at the Four Points Sheraton Chelsea for $205 (on their own website).

You might want to check with www.apartments2book.com They're a website that handles some of the suite hotels (like the Beacon, the Best Western Hospitality, Murray Hill Suites) and often have better prices than the hotels themselves.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 06:38 AM

Check out the affinia hotels. got to there website (www.affinia.com), and look for special offers. Many of their hotels have suites and kitchens. We had visitors stay at the Shelburne and they were all pleased. The 1 bedrooms are quite room (bedroom with 1 king or 2 queens and pull out sofa in living room).

As far as shows for a 14 yr old girl, there are several: Hairspray, Wicked, Spelling Bee, Rent, Lion King, and Phantom. Have her read about them on playbill.com. You also should look into advance sale ticket discounts. Check for discounts on broadwaybox.com, and playbill.com. WIcked & Lion King probably aren't discounted but they other very well may be.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

YOu guys are great! Thank you so much for all the wonderful responses and great ideas.
I've got my work cut out for me. I will check each hotel and see what I come up with. As it stands now, I like the idea of a suite, and also like the idea of 2 rooms with Priceline. So, I'll go from there.

I sent my friends the website for the broadwaybox and the young lady has already expressed an interest in Rent.
I want it to be a special trip for both of them, so I'm easy with anything they'd like to do.

I'll tell you just for interest sake, 14 years ago, I was there for the birth of this young lady, so she is really special to me.

Thank, everyone.
I'll let you know how I make out.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 04:33 PM

Check Eleisurelink.com. They sometimes have good prices at hotels in NYC.

A friend of mine just took her 12 year old daughter to see Hairspray and she loved it!
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 04:39 PM

Check out www.applecorehotels.com and see what's available for your dates.

If you go to see Wicked, buy her the CD before you go. She will absolutely fall in love with the music!
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 04:58 PM

I just checked the rates for the LaQuinta in Manhattan for your dates and it's an absolute steal.

I checked their website (as well as the Hilton group) because they are the places I usually stay at while on the road. I wasn't even sure there was a LQ in Manhattan.

The rate was so good, I checked www.tripadvisor.com to see what the property was like. The reviews are good if you are looking for a good, clean hotel in a good location. The LQ free breakfasts are usually good (with make your own waffles).

Check out www.lq.com if you are interested. I was amazed at the rate I found.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Starrsville, I jsut checked and thye seem to only have one bed, being a queen of king. NOt enough for the three of us. I may be readying it wrong. I worked long hours today and I'm just off to bed.
Much more research tomorrow.

Thanks again everyone. We'd love a suite or apartment....

gotta go. til tomorrow..
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 05:14 PM

No. I didn't check the details. The rate quoted was great, but I didn't check the bed configuration.

Happy planning.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 08:21 PM

Check this tour out. It is an absolute blast!

http://www.foodsofny.com/greenwichvillage.php
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

Starrsville, I did this!!!!! And you are right, it was a blast. I took my niece on it when we went to NY for her 30th birthday. It was truly wonderful and I'd recommend it for anyone going to NY.
I'll have to see if my friend and her daughter would like to do it. I'd gladly do it again.
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 05:06 AM

Hi, Starrsville,

We're taking our almost 16 year old daughter to New York in April along with 10 year old little brother. I'm thinking that she may enjoy the food tour while we send Dad and Brother off to Blue Man or a museum that he would like.

Our daughter loves vintage/flea markets. Do you know of a tour that is more of a shopping tour of the Village?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 05:14 AM

The same company does a Chelsea/ Meatpacking district trip. kodi, you may enjoy that for the change and DownSouth, it may include more boutique type stores.

The cool thing about the tour is that you learn so many neat things about NYC that you would not otherwise find out. I bought goodies as I went along to take to a friend who lives (and grew up) on the UWS and she was shocked about what I had learned that she was not aware of. She wants to go with me the next time I do the tour. Yep, a "jaded" New Yorker - probably would never even entertain the idea of such a tour and wants to do it after she found out where we went.

You don't sit down along the way, but "taste" foods in about half the places - including bread, cheese, CHOCOLATE, pizza etc. I loved the stop at Chumbley's the speakeasy.

DownSouth, you get a "back door" tour of Greenwich and there are plenty of places your daughter will probably want to retrace her steps to visit shops she saw along the way.

It truly was a blast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -