Going to MCI center, first time tourist

Old Nov 1st, 1998, 10:17 AM
Lindsay

Going to MCI center, first time tourist

My husband and I are going to a KISS concert
in the MCI Center mid November. Want to sightsee too. Found a Best Western Hotel in
Downtown Capitol Hill (3rd St.NW), is this
near to the MCI center and is it safe to walk
to and from center at night. Also have 1 1/2
days to sightsee and would like to leave car
at hotel and use tour bus, metro or walk.
If we stay here is everything within easy reach and also in a safe area?

Old Nov 1st, 1998, 10:50 AM
Jud Compton

We used buses in Washington in September for walking tours. This is an excellent way to get around. Bus drivers are very accomodating and will advise you about bus lines, whether you need a transfer, and, generally, look out for you. We didn't use Metro mainly be cause it wasn't convenient, and we knew on the bus we had someone to ask questions. (We rode BART in the San Francisco area.)
Depending on your interests, we'd recommend the Newseum in Arlington Va. We expected to spend an hour or so and ended up there for 5 hours. Also, you can get there by bus.
Have a great time!

Old Nov 1st, 1998, 12:31 PM
ilisa

The area you are staying in is an ok area. It is primarily a business district, so it will be very quiet if you are there on a weekend. You are about 4 blocks or so from the MCI Center. The metro there is Gallery Place. After a concert, I doubt there will be any problem walking back to your hotel; things will be pretty busy. But that is your judgement. You will also be fairly close to the Mall and the Smithsonian, so you can walk to all the sights. Daytime is fine to walk around. Regarding transportation, I use the metro every day, and would definitely recommend it over buses any day. I have yet to hear of a bus driver in DC that actually cares about you or where you are going. The metro is very convenient and will get you pretty much wherever you want to go, except Georgetown. However, I doubt you will have to use public transportation very much. There are tour buses like the Tourmobile, but I personally feel they are not worth the money, especially since you can walk to many sights or take a cheaper mode of transportation such as the metro.

Old Nov 1st, 1998, 02:46 PM
Lindsay

Many thanks for the replies. Very informative.

Old Nov 2nd, 1998, 08:25 AM
Jud Compton

Some more thoughts:
Monuments: There are many of these, but some are special--Vietnam Veterans (the Wall), FDR (exceptional), Women's Vietnam Veterans, Korean Veterans, and, of course, Lincoln, and (suprising), Albert Einstein.
Tours: Kennedy Center, Capitol, and Holocaust. Time would be your problem for these.
Incidentally, the Kennedy Center has a free performance every day at 6 p.m. And a bus will take you to the door (probably with a transfer).
I'm ready to go back again just thinking about it.

Old Nov 20th, 1998, 04:43 AM
Barbara

Don't forget the Van Gogh exhibit, especially if your sight-seeing day falls on a weekday. Same-day ticket lines have thinned considerably. Have fun!