Going to Maui without a reservation

Sep 19th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Going to Maui without a reservation

Hi,
We are first timers going to Maui for a week at the beginning of November. We'd like to stay around Kaanapali since people in this forum have told us it's a nice there. The problem is we are flying on passes which means we have to fly standby. Therefore we can't book and pay for a week at a condo in advance because there's always the possibility that we won't get on the flight. We'll have to drive around from place to place and look for something once we have arrived. The advantage to this is you see before you rent. On the other hand there might be nothing available. Our question is has anyone else done this or had any experience with this? We would really appreciate your feedback.

Sincerely,

Jim
Sep 19th, 2009, 06:43 AM

I've never done this but since the recession has driven down the occupancy rate in hotels in Hawaii, they have a lot of empty rooms and you'll be able to find last minute accomodations.
Sep 19th, 2009, 08:17 AM

What is your accomodation budget?
Sep 19th, 2009, 08:26 AM

I've never tried renting a condo last minute before, but my past rental experiences suggest that what you're planning might be somewhat difficult. First, I am confident you would be able to see the *outside* of the rental building and therefore have a great sense of location, etc., but I doubt you would be able to see the actual units themselves. A lot of rentals are independently owned by people, many of whom don't actually live full time in Maui. There are also sometimes logistics that would make a last minute rental an issue, such as coordination of obtaining the key (will be a non-issue, though, if you just need a code on a lock box).

A last minute condo rental may not be impossible, but I think it will be more difficult than finding a hotel once you arrive.
Sep 19th, 2009, 10:02 AM

There are basically two types of condos available.

Those that are rented out by individuals like on www.vrbo.com (private condos).

Those that are rented out by management companies like Outrigger or Aston (condotels). Though the condos are individually owned, the property is operated like a hotel.

Don't expect to find any private condos. But Aston & Outrigger will have some units available.
Sep 19th, 2009, 10:55 AM

I wouldn't go to Maui without reservations..though the economy is soft right now..things like conventions or other things can throw a monkey wrench into the deal.
We have a gorgeous $75 a night and that includes $56 breakfast buffet!
Aloha to you!
Sep 19th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. We originally hoped to pay around $100 a day for a condo, but we're thinking more in terms of $150 now. Ksucat, how did you find something so inexpensive? Where are you staying?

Sincerely,

Jim
Sep 19th, 2009, 01:30 PM

I went to expedia.com and waited until 2 weeks before we left..flight/hotel/car for $1400 per person for a week and that is at the gorgeous Grand Hyatt Kauai!
We were upgraded for free to an ocean deluxe suite..
Prices varied greatly and the high was $2100 -$1400 and thats when I bought at midnight on Monday morning..
Lots of inventory is dumped at midnight on Tues-Wed. on travel websites.
For Maui, a lot of the 4-5* resorts are running around $125+ or less..
We like Grand Wailea and the Hyatt/Westin in Kaanapali..can never remember the exact hotel...Costco had some killer deals for less than $100 a night for 6 nights, ocean view, $100 resort credit and breakfast for 2 everyday..plus a car.

Best to you Jim and have a great time!
Sep 19th, 2009, 07:01 PM

I recommend you find an on-island rental agency that handles units in several complexes in your target area and has an interactive web site. You can browse their listings for availability in your date range, look at photos of the actual units, and check prices. If you find several you like, make a list. Call the agency and explain your stand-by situation. Ask if you can call them from the airport when you arrive to see if any of the units on your list are available. I'm sure you could arrange to stop by their office to pay and pick up the keys and/or lock box combo. One agency that has many affordable units from Lahaina north is Sullivan Properties. Their website is www.mauiresorts.com.
Sep 20th, 2009, 05:37 AM

P.S. Note that all rentals are 20 percent off through Sullivan until the end of the year. That probably won't show up on the interactive search, though, so keep it mind when checking prices. That's the discount I received recently, too, for a So. Maui rental. Now you have a benchmark when checking other possibilities.
Sep 22nd, 2009, 05:57 AM

Lots of good advice here. I agree with montereybob that the recession has opened up lots of hotel rooms (and condos); even with a convention there will be room at that time. Barbara5353's suggestion about checking some condo Web sites and contacting people and asking questions is the way to go. The preparation will help you if you get that flight. Besides the companies mentioned by others, Chase 'n Rainbows has a lot of West Maui rentals at different prices; www.chasenrainbows.com. Always ask about deals these days!
Sep 22nd, 2009, 06:59 AM

I would have the phone numbers available, rather than "driving" around.

Not sure about your "passes", but do realize Hawaii has very close to 100%+ load factors, EVERY day. If you happen to be on a "buddy pass" and not the airline employee, you have a slim chance of getting on your first picks. I fly nonrev all the time, and can't tell you how many times, I have just made it on, with the buddy passes not having a prayer over many days.

If this is the case for you- have the employee, check loads right before you go, and give you all the listings and study the routings, if you have to connect.

Everyone will board ahead of buddy passes, employees, retirees, parents, other airline employees, then buddy passes.

Search this Thread