Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Going to Maui, what not to miss???(never been before)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 1998, 08:41 PM
Joel

My wife and I are celebrating our 5th anniversary in Maui in two weeks, We have never been, any advice on what not to miss while there. Romance, fun... any info would be great thanks

Old Apr 13th, 1998, 09:06 PM
gloria

hello -- my advice: tip#1: go to haleakala for the sunrise the day after you arrive, because you'll naturally wake up early enough due to the time change -- be sure to pack long johns, light jackets and grab a few blankets on your way out the door -- you'll still be too cold (we had 60 mile an hour sustained winds at 30 degrees, but the sunrise was still worth it!!) -- tip #2: plan at least one night in hana so that you don't do as most tourists do and make the hana trip in one LONG day -- when we were there, we left the ritz carlton in kapalua to spend a $70 night in a clean but simple room in hana and were so very glad we did!! -- i don't know where you're from, but if you're used to rural roads (we're from oregon) then don't miss the trip on around the island past hana -- the rental car agencies DO NOT suggest it, thus know that if you get stuck (you won't) you will be charged accordingly -- take your time and enjoy the view!! have fun!!!

Old Apr 15th, 1998, 06:37 AM
Paul Rabe

Excellent choice for a romantic time!

The above two suggestions took the words out of my mouth. I would also suggest strolling and sightseeing the art galleries of Lahaina. Take a morning boat ride out to Molokini and go snorkeling (or scuba diving IF you are certified). Take a dinner boat cruise during the sunset.

After two weeks in Hawaii, my wife and I joked that Charles and Diana would have stayed married if only they'd gone there!

Old Apr 15th, 1998, 06:39 AM
P. Thompson

Joel,

My husband and I spent a week in Maui last August for our honeymoon, you're going to love it. I would highly recommend that you have dinner at the Hyatt's restaurant called Swan Court. It is truly a very romantic restaurant. Make sure that you make your reservation right before sunset so that you're able to take that in. We also did a Luau in Maui, it was called the Old Lahania Luau. It came recommended by a few people and it was very nice, good food and good entertainment.

Be sure to do the Road to Hana. If possible, have the hotel that you're staying at pack a picnic and you can pull along the side of the road and enjoy a nice lunch.

I would also recommend some time shopping in Lahania. Lots of shops and there is one section that has shopping carts outside with some pretty neat items. We found that most of the shops all featured the same items and the same prices.

Have a wonderful time!

Old Apr 15th, 1998, 09:47 PM
brenda bouthot

My husband and I are from Alaska and we own timeshares in Maui and Kauai. We love both
islands. We suggest a bottle of your favorite chilled champagne and a blanket on a beautiful beach for sunset. It cannot be beat. Also dinner in Lahaina any night is fun. Restaurants on Maui range from the fast food to the best of the best in all price ranges. Do try dinner at one of the more famous restaurants. Check out the food show on the TV visitor channel, as they give excellent reviews of all of the best restaurents. Lastly, get out and walk. The mornings are perfect to explore the island on foot and eveything is fresh and gorgeous. Romantic? Where could be better. Enjoy!

Old Apr 20th, 1998, 07:29 PM
sgorces

Check with the Pacific Whale Foundation folks who have a boat in Maalaea. If there are still whales in the region, go on a whale watching tour. The humpbacks are unforgettable. Do have lunch at Haliimaile General Store on the way back from Haleakala, it is outstanding. Roy's Kahana Grill is excellent. Sharing a chocolate souffle there is romance itself. Kapalua Bay is one of prettiest on Earth. Snorkeling there is like diving into an aquarium. Snorkel gear can be rented anywhere, but avoid the resorts. A snorkel set at $10 per day at a resort can be had for a week at a small shop. There's a good little place on the Lower Honoapiilani Highway across the parking lot from the ABC store near Embassy Suites. Hula Grill at Whaler's Village is very nice and offers Hula dancing on the beach. You should go scuba diving whether you're certified or not. You can get a morning course followed by an introductory ocean dive. It was one of the best things we did. For a cheap but good lunch, have a Maui Taco with black beans, yum! Finally, be sure to have a "Lava Flow" served in a hollowed out pineapple. Also, take plenty of money, Maui is expensive.