Search

going to ft myers

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2004, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
going to ft myers

Hey everyone me and my fiancee are going to ft myers next week, and were trying to decide on where to stay. We are actually going to check it out for either a future investment property or possibly to move from NYC in the next year or two, were using this trip to check out surrounding areas such as cape coral etc. to get a feel for them. Right now were looking for a nice hotel not too pricey, maybe something with a pool and or near the beach. Or right on the beach. Been looking thru the posts but most of them are a lil old and just looking for some recent reviews of hotels . Any help is appreciated.
Old May 5th, 2004, 07:46 PM

I've never been to Ft. Myers Beach but Captiva and Sanibel islands are both just a bridge away. My favorite place on Captiva is Tween Waters Inn -- but this would not be very convenient to Ft. Myers and your proposed day trips to Cape Coral or other spots. Sorry I'm not more help than this.
Old May 6th, 2004, 02:04 AM

nicest hotel in Fort Myers area is Sanibel Harbor Resort and Spa. The hotels in town are nothing much at all, more geared to business travellers. Cape Coral has nothing at all.

I think staying at the Sanibel Harbor Resort is a good location. To get the best investment, you will want to look along McGregor Blvd for places. Gulf Harbour is presently the best in community in Fort Myers with Veranda the second. Across the river, Tarpon Point Marina and Cape Harbour are the best in the Cape. There are many high rises being built so those may be of interest. The downtown area has a new master plan by the same planners that have helped South Beach. Potential is huge but the reality right now is a little sparse.

If you aren't afraid of dumps, I'd stay in Matlacha. Funny old fishing hotel where you walk outside your room and throw a line in. The town is very funky and a throw back to 40's florida. Won't be that way long. This little town is next to Cape Coral. LMF
Old May 6th, 2004, 05:14 AM

Try the DiamondHead on Ft. Myers beach. The season is over so the rates have dropped from about $350/night to less than $150... good beach, good location, in a fun area...
Old May 6th, 2004, 08:15 AM

Hi There,
Sanibel is really nice but we just came back from Fort Myers and Cape Coral and believe me the traffic to go over the brigde to get to Fort Myers is outrageous. We go every year and the traffic get's worse and worse. We stayed at the Pink Shell right on the beach, but ther are a string of Hotels right on the beach and you can walk along the beach and hit bar's with music, resteraunts and shops. We had a ball doing do that. Good Luck to you. Cape Coral is mostly retirement people and not much to do-Boring. Fort Myers has much more to offer. Naples is also really nice and I agree with Sanibel and Captiva- a must check out spot. Good Luck again
Sandy
Old May 6th, 2004, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Hello all and thanks for writing back, I have a few places that I would like some feedback on...
Ramada Inn Beachfront
Pink Shell Beach Resort
Lana Kai
Days Inn Island.
Any help would be appreciated
LilMsFoodie...I appreciate your post as well. I am just assuming that you actually live in the area. I would like to email you to get some more specefics on areas to check out in Ft Myers for investment opps. it would be a big help since its so hard to get alot done in 3 days. the offer also goes for anyone else who might live in the area or just knows specefic places to look into. Thank you all.
Old May 6th, 2004, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

just in case you do not want to give out your email feel free to email me at [email protected], thanks again
Old May 6th, 2004, 01:09 PM

I'll email you with some info. BTW, don't believe that info about Cape Coral, true maybe 3 years ago but most of the growth is in commuters to Ft. Myers, Naples, Charlotte County and baby boomers buying pre-investment property. Restaurants are starting to come but most of the retail is across in Fort Myers.

Lani Kai is a dump primarily known for spring breakers. The Budweiser trucks tie up traffic for hours unloading there. I have never met an adult that stayed there although there may be some.

The Radisson hotel before the Sanibel causeway might be less expensive than the Sanibel Harbour resort.

Pink Shell resort is on Fort Myers Beach not Sanibel. No toll to that barrier island but crazy traffic even in summer. LMF
Old May 6th, 2004, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

OUt of the ones I mentioned or others what would you recommend as a good beachfront hotel in ft myers, other then sanibel resort? The sanibel may be a lil more then we wanted to spend. Any suggestions?
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 01:59 PM

I spent this past Sunday on Ft. Myers Beach. We enjoyed the beach right in front of the Ramada Inn on the beach. I loved the Ramada's location so much I inquired about rates. The rates ranged from $66 to $111 per night. For beachfront, nice pool, I thought this was a great deal. Didn't actually look inside the rooms, but would definitely book this for a quick, (not luxury) beach vacation.