going to Europe this summer with two teens

Apr 30th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

going to Europe this summer with two teens

We are going to Sweden to visit friends this summer on the way home we will be taking a whirlwind tour through Amsterdam for three nights, Paris for two nights and london for four nights. We, wondering if taking group packaged day trips or trying it on our own would be the best? We have rented hotels in the city centers and next to major transportation. Now comes the fun part on trying to pick the "must see" and "Don't bother" out of all the tourist attractions and the hidden beauties of these major cities. We would like to go on a river cruise in Paris and see the Eiffel Tower for sure. I am wondering has anyone gone past the first two floors? How long does it take to walk to the top? I will take suggestions on good restaurants walking distance from there. We will try to cram in the Museums any other suggestions to engage the teens?

London we would like to do one of the castle day tours if anybody has suggestion on that!
Apr 30th, 2006, 02:22 PM

Try the Europe board for more and better answers to your questions.
Apr 30th, 2006, 02:27 PM

Make sure you do the Tower in London and the British Museum. Beyond that, can you involve your kids? We had the best luck with throwing guidebooks at them and saying "you chose what interests you the most." We were very pleasantly surprised by the outings they took turns arranging. I think that if the kids are involved (esp. teens), they have more interest (and take more responsibility for the decision). I also told them that the tubes were up to them--and we got everywhere we needed to go without debates! Don't know if I'd do that in a place that wasn't all in English, tho! Anything you do, if they are part of it, will be rewarding, even if it all isn't someone's "top 10" list. You can't do everything, after all!
Apr 30th, 2006, 02:38 PM
GoTravel

Check out the dress codes and make sure teens are dressed appropriately for some cathedrals, churches, etc.

Clothing is a big issue for teen girls.

Apr 30th, 2006, 10:25 PM

London: Tower of London is a must. It also offers a cool night tour called the Ceremony of the Keys. Beefeater guards perform the ceremony of "locking up the tower" just as they've performed it for hundreds of years. You have to write away in advance for tickets...it may be too late for that.
In Paris, the Eiffel Tower itself has the Restaurante Jules Verne. It's partway up the tower, and you get to use a restricted elevator (no big line). It's very expensive, and must be reserved far in advance, but food was much better than expected for a touristy restaurant (as of 5 years ago, anyway). Go just before sunset...great views. And the river cruise on the "bateaux mouches" was lovely. Also, go to the left bank, sit at an outdoor cafe & sip a coffee...very fun for peoplewatching.
May 1st, 2006, 04:32 AM

I agree with Sylvia3. When we travel, I give a guidebook to our kids and tell them to choose some places they would like to go. Then we make a list of what options most of the family would like to see/do. If not, then we would pick the places to go and they couldn't complain because they didn't want to tell us what they wanted to do ahead of time.

Tower of London is a great place for the teens -- and everyone will love the crown jewels.