Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Going to a convention at the Orlando Convention Center...good idea to stay at Universal's Royal Pacific?

Search

Going to a convention at the Orlando Convention Center...good idea to stay at Universal's Royal Pacific?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2004, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I have not set foot in Orlando since I was 14, so I need some help here. Husband is going to a major convention at the Orlando Orange County Convention Center. We think it may be fun for me to go with him.

1) Is the Royal Pacific a nice place to stay? I'm looking for some R&R by the pool and maybe a day at the Universal Studios park.

2) How hard will it be for my husband to get to the Convention Center (3.5 miles away) without a car. The i trolley seems to stop about 1 mile away (certainly walkable), but I have no concept of how walkable that mile is.

Does anyone have any suggestions? TIA.
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

P.S. - We have already called the resort and they are not running any shuttles that weekend. A second option is to stay at the Wyndham Orlando, which is only 1.5 miles away, but I don't know if its as nice as the RP.
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 11:44 AM

The trolley has a stop right in front of the Convention center. However, he'll need to plan lots of time to get there as that 3 mile trip may take him an hour. The trolley will most likely stop at every stop along the way.

Can't recommend the hotel as I've never been there. It sounds like a divine vacation for you though!

HTH,
Allison
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 03:50 PM

We stayed at the Royal Pacific last June and had a wonderful stay. Rooms are very comfortable. There is a nice pool and a jacuzzi also. Easy access to the water ferry to the parks. A wonderful perk is if you stay at the park you get your own line onto the rides, no waiting in line!! There is a Lowes Hotel club you can join for free. This gets you exclusive check-in line and a gift basket of your choice on check-in. Compare rates on-site and other discount sites.
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 04:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Royal Pacific is a fantastic hotel. It's designed to look like an island paradise. The service and amenities are great. They have a very nice pool and it is so convenient to the Universal parks. For a lot of info., go to www.usoinfo.com
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 05:17 AM

I highly recommend the Royal Pacific Resort. We were there last month for four days (our second visit to RPR) and it is really great. Comfortable rooms, nice restaurants (Emeril's Tchoup Chop is great. beautiful pool area. I think you will really like it. I'm not sure about getting to the Convention Center. We ALWAYS rent a car in Orlando. I just like the flexibility a car gives us. Have you considered renting a car? He could either take the car to the Convention Center, or you could drop him off and pick him up. I think the trolley would take way too much time.

Good luck and have fun!
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 07:22 AM

Since your husband has no transportation and is attending convention, I would recommend staying at the Peabody which is right across the street and he could walk to CC. Also the 2 Rosen hotels on either side of the CC would be walkable as well. From these hotels you could easily get transportation to the parks and he could walk to his convention.
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Hi, thanks for the input. I think we're going to book the Royal Pacific even though its farther from the Convention center. The peabody is $$$ and both Rosens are sold out for our dates (did I mention it is a major convention and we're a little late in booking)?

We'll look into the car rental versus cab option. It looks like a cab to the Convention Center would be about $10 each way including tip. That may save money and time because we would have to pay parking at the resort and at the Convention Center. Does anyone have any input?
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 10:56 AM

I would have him cab it if it's only $10 one way. The parking fee will likely be the same around the convention center area if not higher if it's a major convention. When are you coming?
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks adogaer. We'll be there May 22-26. Are you very familiar with Orlando, if so, do you have any restaurant recommendations (in different price ranges)?
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 04:27 PM

It will cost you $6 a day to self park your car at the Royal Pacific and $10 a day for valet parking.
Right at the Royal Pacific is Emeril's Tchoup Chop which is a WONDERFUL restaurant. Also, at City Walk (which is a short walk from the Royal Pacific) there are a lot of restaurants. If you want a great meal, try Mythos which is actually inside Islands of Adventure Park. Trust me, it's not what you think of when you think of Theme Park Restaurants. It has the most wonderful food and atmosphere!
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 05:14 AM

We were at the Royal Pacific last summer and will be there again this summer. The hotel is very nice, the rooms are a bit small, but o.k. Pool is pretty nice, but be prepared to kids. Had dinner at Tchoup Chop and it was wonderful. Also had dinner at Mythos was very reasonably priced and food was delicious. If it is just you and your husband, you might wander over to the Portofino Hotel (take the water taxi) and have dinner there. I hear they have several really nice restaurants.
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 05:25 AM
emd

I am interested in the posts on Mythos- What kind of food does Mythos have?
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 07:27 AM

Since you are staying at RP hotel you will have access to many rest. Besides Tchoup Tchoup you can get to Citywalk, Hard Rock, and Portofino by boat. At citywalk I would recommend Emerils (High end), Latin Quarter (mid range), Margaritaville (casual). If you go to Margaritaville sit outside on the deck, it is one of my favorite places. Hard rock and Portofino are said to have some good restaurants also but have not tried. From RP hotel you could walk across the bridge to International drive and then catch the trolley to dozens of places running the gamut.
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 09:02 AM

Mythos is casual dining, but the food is great. They have everything, as I remember. I had salmon, my husband had a steak and my son had the always popular chicken. If you check disboards.com, you might be able to find the menu. Or, you might try usoinfo.com.
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 09:31 AM

There are a myriad of restaurants on I-Dr. just about every chain you can think of is there so if you have a favorite you'll find it. A good casual place is Bahama Breeze done by Darden (same co. as Olive Garden). I've eaten at Margaritaville and Hard Rock before, both good. Hard Rock is just like any other location though. I haven't eaten at any of the hotels at Universal though. There's a great steak restaurant not too far away and they actually shuttle guests from the I-dr. area to their restaurant called Charley's Steakhouse...SO yummy!!

HTH,
A
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 07:07 AM

emd,
Mythos has an upscale, slightly gourmet type menu, but there is plenty for a "meat and potato" eater too. If you go, be sure to try the warm gooey chocolate banana cake topped with peanut butter ice cream. YUUUUMMMMMM!
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks schmerl, sherries, and adogaer for the dining suggestions. Mythos and Tchoup Chop sound good. What is the price range of these places?

gmoney, thanks for the additional information. Do I understand correctly that the trolley stop is one bridge away from Universal and/or Royal Pacific? I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to pinpoint the closest trolley stop.
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 07:21 AM

http://www.iridetrolley.com/directory/map.htm is a map of the trolley system. Where it gets closest to Universal is by Universal Blvd. That's probably the bridge pp mentioned. The bridge goes over I-4 and is a bit of a walk from where the trolley stop would be. I would guess 1-2 miles to the hotel. I'm looking into city bus (Lynx) routes but having troble finding a clear route. I think I found one that would be easier for your husband. He would have to take the Lynx a bit and then maybe switch to the Trolley. I'm still working on that though. I'll let you know.

~Allison
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 08:23 AM

Finally heard back from Lynx... Here's their solution

Board link #21 or 37 from Universal Studios Parking Garage. Arrive
International Dr/Kirkman Rd cross the street, there should be a bus stop
near a Burger King . Transfer to Link #8/or Link #42.

You can see fare/map/schedule info on their website www.golynx.com

Hope this helps!
~Allison

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -