going solo in new orleans

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 02:23 PM
linda lynwander

going solo in new orleans

Hi All,
Middleaged & coming to NO for a long wkend late Sept by myself w/o my travel phobic husb. Days are no problem hoofing all over, taking tours. But how to enjoy NO at night (cajun, jazz). Are there tours that cater to single travelers? Thanks for replying!

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 06:27 AM
arabella

Where will you be staying? If you're staying right in the Quarter, you'll be fine walking by yourself on the main streets to/from clubs in the Quarter and your hotel. The streets are always full of other tourists. Of course, you won't want to wander down any small alleyways.

If you're staying on Canal, I'd be a little more leery about walking alone at night.

Any other thoughts anyone? Does anyone know of tours for single travelers in New Orleans?

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 09:34 AM
Meg

I don't know about any tours geared towards singles, but I consider this a single-friendly town. I live in the Quarter, and, while I don't roam the streets aimlessly late at night, I feel comfortable on my own for the most part. If every in doubt or if you feel uncomfortable, get in a cab. It's the cheapest form of insurance available. Any well-traveled street in the Quarter will be fine during prime time hours, but after 10 or so, I'd definitely take a cab. Hope you have a great trip.

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 11:52 AM
Rick

Preservation Hall for jazz is a perfect stop for an evening. Absolutely no problem for a solo visitor.
Several restaurants have "food counters" or dinner service at the bar, which may make you feel more comfortable as a solo diner. Also consider lunch, instead of dinner, at the more "formal" places.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 06:51 AM
Cheryl

Linda:

I have traveled to NO solo for business and also with my husband for fun. I would recommend as a "solo" traveler to definitely stay in the Quarter ... I think this is actually the safest area at night because there are always people around. I like the Omni Royal Orleans; great central location in the Quarter, but not right on Bourbon Street so not so noisy.

For something to do in the evening I would recommend the following:

Grayline offers an evening walking tour of the Quarter that includes dinner at Tujaques, a jazz set at one of the clubs on Bourbon, and coffee/beignets at Cafe DeMonde. I did this when I was there on my own and enjoyed it.

I think you could also do one of the evening "Ghost Tours." This can be a bit corny, but if you go with a sense of humour, it can be fun. They are run out of the Voodoo Shop and are actually quite popular. Your hotel can give you specifics.

I also agree with the Preservation Jazz Hall suggestion. I recall that the band does a "new" set every hour or so. So you just wait outside in line until they let you in for the next show. (It is very centrally located in the Quarter where there are always lots of people arounnd.) There are no seats or "bar area" inside ... everyone stands around (or sits on the floor) and enjoys the show.

Hope this helps.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 06:58 AM
doglover

Stayed at the Fairmont in June for business conference. The Fairmont is just off Canal Street, very near the French Qaurter.
A small group of us walked from the hotel to the French Quarter for dinner. We walked around the Quarter after dinner for a while. I felt tired and was ready to go back to the hotel. I didn't feel afraid to walk back alone. It was only about 9 pm and I stayed on the well-traveled streets until I hit Canal. I just acted like I knew what I was doing, and since I hadn't been drinking, I had some of my wits about me!!