Search

Going back to NYC again

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2007, 01:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going back to NYC again

Hi

My wife and I have just bought tickets to go to NYC again in the end of November. We went there a couple of years back (see my trip report on http://gardkarlsen.com/new_york_city_trip_report.htm ) but I guess this time it will be more for Christmas shopping so I guess we will have to bring empty suitcases when we go there The Norwegian krone is very strong compared to the dollar. When we went to Florida a few years back 1 dollar was 8.4 kroner...today it is 5.5

I'm surprised to see how the pricelevel of hotels has gone up. In 2004 we got a hotel room in NYC for "only" 150 US $. Now it seems like it is impossible to find anything under 300$ ! I just came from Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia where I stay at Traders for about 100$ and I got a very nice room at the executive level, breakfast, free cocktails at night etc. Oh well, I guess you can't compare like that.

So if you got any recommendations for hotels, restaurants, sights, shopping please let me know your thoughts

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 04:47 PM

Try Priceline, check biddingg for travel for examples of winning rejected bids. If you are there over Thanksgiving, you will not have much luck with Priceline. Check Marriott Courtyards, they may be in the $250 range depending on time frame. Take in the department stores, Rockefeller Center which will be decked out for Christmas. Go see the Rockettes Christmas show at radio city.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 04:00 AM

Priceline really works best in NYC with a short stay. If you're coming for a week, it's unlikely you will get a room via Priceline. What's your budget, Gard and what are your travel dates?
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Hi

As we normally don't spend that much time at the hotel we would like to get it as cheap as possible But we would like to have a private bathroom and stay in Manhattan. I'm hoping to find something for 200$ as night but I'm realistic and understand that I might have to go higher.

Regards
Gard
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 12:13 PM

You can try chelsealodgesuites.com but they're probably already booked.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 01:01 PM

I hope all those who are crying about how Europe has become too expensive for travel by American due to the poor exchange rate are reading this. Here is a European whose currency is way high with the dollar (like the euro) but is finding the costs here are far worse than there --regardless of his currency value advantages.
Some of us have been saying that all along. Costs here have often risen more than the dollar has fallen, so travel in the US can be more expensive that travel in Europe.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 08:14 PM

Hi gard,

I'm pretty freaked out about the hotel rates in NYC too. Am going to visit DD for her bd (got tickets for Carmen) and would really like to stay in the city for the weekend as opposed to taking the train back to White Plains (where she is in lawschool), but have a backup at Marriott Courtyard there as I keep bidding on priceline. Three star places are all above $300! Four star $450 +.

Yes, neopatrick, this is interesting...makes me want to go back to Paris where rates are more affordable !

Also, if you're going for a week, you might try renting an apartment. I had a link from Fodors, but can't find it now--anyone? Or trying to google it. Still wasn't cheap.

There are inexpensive places, especially through priceline, by the airports, (JKF and LGA) but unless you're a deep sleeper (or wear earplugs), don't know if that would work for you.

Another possibility--though she's probably booked already--a friend of a friend's daughter has a B&B with a suite for $225 and room for $175. Don't know much more about it than that, but her name is Pamela Conrad and her phone number is 212-319-4136. If you (or anyone) stay there--please let me know how it was for future possibilities.

I may (or may not) report back after my trip (if I have anything "new" to offer).

Good luck--I know it's frustrating--I'm going through it now too.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Original Poster

Hi NeoPatrick

Yes, I'm quite shocked to see how prices of hotels has gone up since we were there in the summer of 2004. It has only been three years but it seems like the prices of hotel rooms have at least doubled. I hope that this does not go for everything else It must be difficult for your average American to take a week holiday in NYC as the cost of hotel room will break most peoples budget. What has happened to the prices of flats and houses in NYC? Have they gone up to?

Regards
Gard
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 03:53 AM
Original Poster

Hi

We have now booked a hotel. We went for Quality Inn Long Island City:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._New_York.html

It looks like the reviews are pretty good and the rate was very decent (160$ per night including all the taxes) and it looks like it will be easy to get to Manhattan on the subway.

Regards
Gard
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 06:36 AM

After Sept. 11 very few people wanted to come here and prices went way down on everything for years. Unfortunately everything has now gone back up to where it was before the attacks - way, way too expensive.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 06:44 AM
GoTravel

Also, many hotels closed down to become condo converstions; Hyatt Stanhope, The Mayflower, The Plaza, The Regent Wall Street, ect. I think Manhattan lost over 2000 hotel rooms.

Old Oct 8th, 2007, 06:54 AM

gard, yes it is very difficult for many Americans to visit NYC because of the hotel costs, yet the hotels and streets are very full of visitors right now! Fortunately, there are food options at all price ranges, and discount options for museums and other attractions that make the total cost of a trip more manageable. Also, If you are getting big savings shopping for things you might buy at home anyway(clothes, electronics, etc) tourists, especially Europeans feel like they make up the cost of the trip that way. Many people travel to Orlando and Disneyworld where hotels are cheap, but the costs of admission to the parks and food and souvenirs really add up. So, to each his own...
And yes, prices for apartments and houses are ridiculously high. To buy an average (not luxury) 2 bedroom apartment in Manhattan is more than $1 million, to rent one would be about $3,000 per month.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 06:58 AM

"After Sept. 11 very few people wanted to come here and prices went way down on everything for years. Unfortunately everything has now gone back up to where it was before the attacks - way, way too expensive."

While that makes for good sounding press, the fact is that today's New York City prices are MUCH higher than in 2000. We stayed at the Marriott Marquis mainly in the late 90's and in 2000. We always paid under $200 a night. It's hard to get it now for less than about $350 -- often more.

And let's not even talk about restaurant, liquor, and Broadway ticket prices, not to mention the costs of taxis and subways. You're right to say there were bargains after 9/11, but very wrong to suggest that prices before that were anywhere near what they are today.

Old Oct 8th, 2007, 07:31 AM

NeoPatrick, prices are surely much higher, but some things have gone up disproportionately more than others.
Subway fares have not gone up so much since "the late 90s"-- it was $1.50, no discounts. Now is it $2.00 but there are discounts to bring it down to $1.67 or less. Restaurant prices have gone up, but more than the cost of inflation (average 2.5% per year?)--not so sure, if you are comparing the same restaurant's prices(There are more super high end places out there, and more low priced plaes that have closed up.) Theater prices are up at a higher rate, as are hotel rates to be sure. But then again, there was no Priceline and other ways to get deep discounts, so maybe the "average" price paid by all hotel customers isn't as high as it looks either. Who knows? I'm glad I don't have to pay hotel rates in NYC, but residential real estate prices are depressing enough (unless you bought low and can sell at the crazy high prices, and then move out of town!)
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 07:40 AM

Glad you found a place for your trip to NYC. Yes, it is quite shocking to see the change. I stayed at a quite inexpensive hotel for $125 a night in both the spring and fall of 2003, and the same hotel had risen to nearly $250 per night for late summer in 2007. It was such a change that I picked another, better hotel for about the same cost.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 07:44 AM

NeoP- you missed the last part of my sentence. They've gone back to being WAY too expensive. Once prices reach the level of outrageous I can't even put a dollar value and compare them. Also, living here I don't know what inflation has done to other places over the same time period. And, the price of show tickets is horrifying to me. This is not to discourage travelers - seeing a show or two on vacation is well worth a splurge. But living here, I'd like to see more shows but even waiting for discounts the tickets are still expensive. Years ago you used to be able to get huge discounts for shows and even the top prices were about $100. I once saw a show (Smokey Joe's Cafe) and paid $15 for the tickets. Older shows routinely had blocks of shows where the top prices were cut to $50. I may be wrong, but I think it was the Producers that was the first show to start with outrageous prices - no seat under $125 and $300+ for the good seats. Now that's the standard. The real nightmare is that now restaurant and bar prices are as high in the other boroughs as they are in Manhattan. I wish it was easier for people to see NYC but at these prices, you really have to want it! Oh, and cabs. The cost used to be a bit of a splurge, now it's shocking how much it costs to go just a short distance.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 08:09 AM
MaureenB

Are you going during the Thanksgiving weekend? Are you sure you want to stay outside the city? In other words, have you exhausted all NYC possibilities? Embassy Suites, for example? What are your travel dates?
>-

Old Oct 8th, 2007, 08:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A Long Island City hotel location means commuting into Manhatan and back each day, so be sure to get a reduced fare card -- the weekly one might be your best bet. I hope your hotel is not too far from a subway stop, or else you will be in for a lot of long walks or expensive cab rides.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 09:02 AM

Gard- It's more the time of year you are going than being 3 years later. Thanksgiving and the Christmas season are a lot higher for hotels than July.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 09:32 AM

I've alawys said our week in Paris is cheaper than our week in NYC (airfare aside). Hotels in NYC are out of sight and finding a bargain requires A LOT of patience and traveling during a more "off" season (although that season is getting shorter and shorter - lol). There are a lot of inexpensive things to do in the City, but overall it is one of the more expensive places to visit when comparing typical 'daily expenses' (but I still love it!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -