Search

Go Give Blood

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 04:25 AM
Lauren

Go Give Blood

I will be going back to work today mostly because I don't know what else to do. Sitting mesmorized by the unfolding tragedy on TV is pointless--and very depressing.

My daughter called from Germany, my sister--who works in Manhattan--called in from New Jersey last night after she got home. We don't always get along, but she called me before even looking for email. It was the one phone call I waited for all day--and I kept my telephone line free to receive it.

My immediate family is intact. Others were not so lucky. Besides removing the bodies, we cannot do much for the dead. We can do something for the living, however. Later today, I will give blood. I suggest that we all do that. It doesn't take long, it is not very painful (really) and it may help to save someone's life. It will also make you feel better when you do it. For most of us, it is all we can do because we are not EMT's, doctors, etc.

There is a blood donor center in your area. The Nation's blood supplies are chronically low--and will be totally depleted from this. You need to help replenish it.

For those of you not on the bone marrow donor list, this might be a good time to get tested for that as well. How could you fail to donate bone marrow if someone matched yours? Get it done.

For those of you who live abroad, go give blood in your country. Your blood supply is low too.

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 08:36 AM
Stephanie

For anyone else interested in donating blood - I finally got through to one
of the 800 numbers (800 933 2566) - I
had been trying since yesterday. I was told that they are only taking type O
for now, but would be taking other types next week.

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 09:06 AM
JJ

If you live in NY, don't give today. Go tomorrow or over the weekend. In Manhattan, many have been turned away and in Westchester, there is a 5 hour wait to give blood. They will still need blood for a long time and I fear that if Manhattanites try to give blood today and are turned away, they will say "well I tried".

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 03:27 PM
Janey

Giving blood is a great way to help in this time of crisis. However just heard on the radio that due to the wait times (up to 8 hrs) people should wait and go in a week or 2 when demand will still be high, but easier to get in. hope this helps for people who do want to give blood, but can't get there this week.

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 05:11 PM
ldsant

Here in Seattle the Puget Sound Blood Bank is urging people NOT to give blood until 2 weeks from now or in November. They are totally overwhelmed. They said that people should make an appointment through their website rather than coming down and being turned away. Yesterday they had 3 times as many people (over 2500) as they do in any regular day.

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 05:25 PM
Cathie

We just happened to have a blood drive here last Friday and I decided to go and donate since I am 0 pos. and they are always calling and asking me to donate.
They did have a drive today here and I heard on the news that there were so many people that they had to shut down at 4 instead of 6 because they ran out of supplies. Hopefully they will be able to continue again tomorrow. I would donate again in a second if they would let me. But have to wait 55 days I believe.

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 05:36 PM
Paige

I agree with all of the above. Red Cross Centers are packed. Wait a couple of weeks and then go.

And for those of you who, for whatever reason, do not qualify as a donor, my daughter was declined today as a donor, but was welcomed as a volunteer.

Anything we can do . . .

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 07:58 PM
Barbara

If you have been traveling out the USA in the past year to certain countries you will not be allowed to donate blood, ex. Roatan. You may want to ask before you go.

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 08:59 PM
ldsant

You can give $$ to the American Red Cross though - through the web as well.

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 05:47 AM
Stephanie

Re Red Cross: I've tried to reach them
to find out if there's any drop off
locations on LI for food/water/supplies
or where to go to volunteer my time.

Does anyone know???

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 10:32 AM
Ann

I'm unable to give blood, as I lived in the UK for awhile. But each situation varies. Check with the Red Cross, rather than relying on info you find here.