Search

Glacier vs Yellowstone: 4 days, mid October

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2014, 11:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glacier vs Yellowstone: 4 days, mid October

Hello everyone!

Me and my partner are going on a trip to the US this coming October.

We will have about 4 days to visit national parks between Idaho (where we'll be starting) and New-York (where we'll be ending our trip). We unfortunatley don't have any flexibilty with our dates: October 12-16.

At first we were thinking of doing Yellowstone and Glacier but it seems like 2 days in each (+1 day in between) is not enough!

Now, we know that the weather at this time is very bordelrine and that many things are closed, but we would really love to see at least one of those parks and benefit from the sparsity of visitors.

The question is: which park should we choose?

We love mountains, hiking and lakes (Glacier it seems) but also wildlife spotting and diversity of landscape (Yellowstone).

Would love to hear your opinion!
Old Sep 4th, 2014, 06:06 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I think you'll have a weather problem but I'll let other answer that.

I don't think Yellowstone has anything over Glacier regarding wildlife.

If you aren't too late in the season (as I wrote others will be better for that) I think you can do more in Glacier as it's more compact.

With only a couple of days the Many Glacier area is great.

You could hike to Iceberg Lake that's beautiful.

Bears are possible roadside.

Fishercap Lake in the last couple of hours of the day or also very early for deer and moose.

But I think mid-October may be too late but we'll see.
Old Sep 4th, 2014, 06:39 AM

In four days you'll have plenty of time to enjoy the many sides of Yellowstone. Maybe not ALL of it -- there's just too much of Yellowstone to fully enjoy in a lifetime -- but you can experience a lot. Including stuff you won't find in Glacier NP -- or anywhere else in the world for that matter, including half of all the hydrothermal systems on this planet, and over half of its geysers. There's also an breath-taking canyon, and innumerable waterfalls.

Glacier DOES have more impressive alpine scenery. But, unless seeing glorious mountains tops your list, Yellowstone would be my choice.
Old Sep 4th, 2014, 07:12 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
How and what time of day do you get to Idaho?
Where in Idaho? My best idea would be to go through Driggs and through Grand Teton and the south entrance of Yellowstone.
Can you ever come back when you have more time earlier in 2015?
I've been to both parks within the last 10 years. Both are beautiful. See the highlights of Yellowstone and you'll probably come back another time when you have much more time.
Old Sep 4th, 2014, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies !

Tom, I will be arriving to Idaho from Seattle by car on the 10th of October to attend a wedding near Sandpoint. Will then be taking the car on the 12th either to Glacier and Idaho for 4 (or maybe 5) days, then continuing to New York by plane (didn't book that flight yet).

I'm afraid I won't be coming back for a long time as I live in Paris!
Old Sep 4th, 2014, 08:11 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm thinking that your best shot at a direct flight to New York would be from the Salt Lake City airport (SLC).
It is an 8 hour drive (Sunday) from Sandpoint to Gardiner Montana. Either spend the night in Gardiner or at Mammoth in the north side of Yellowstone.
Spend as much time as you can in Yellowstone seeing the geothermal features and wildlife you may encounter. Be sure to see Old Faithful and the Midway Geyser Basin including Grand Prismatic Spring. Spend a night in Jackson Wyoming before heading to SLC. It's about 5 hours from Jackson to SLC.
Old Sep 4th, 2014, 08:48 AM

If for sure Glacier is more spectacular in "paysage" it is also a park to hike.
I'm afraid for you that in October a lot of trails would be closed due to "weather's conditions-snow ,..." Or as the saison has been late this year to "bear's conditions".
If you preferr Glacier the lodges are closed. For the west part you have to sleep at West Glacier or Columbua Falls. For the east part perhzps some motels are always open in east glacier.
Fir Many Glacier Babb, St Mary are the sites for lodging.
Yellowstone are more certainly to offer at this period. And lidging would be easier : Gardiner nezr Mammoth, West Yellowstone, Cody on the east or Jackdon hole for the doutj have a lot of rooms.
So jeep Glacier for a next trip earlier in season and so to be able to hike which is the best way to have the feeling of the park. And you will hzve less miles to drive from hotels to the Park in Yellowstone''s option in this period
Erik
Old Sep 4th, 2014, 01:36 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
At that time of year, go to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons but that's the end of the season so check availability inside the park.
Old Sep 4th, 2014, 02:17 PM

I would vote for Yellowstone for the same reasons PaulRabe listed. However, you are going at a time when the weather (snow) will possibly be an issue. And the only large facility open in the park on your dates (from what I can see) is the Old Faithful Snow Lodge; and it might be too late to get a room but you can try. See this link for park hours and closing dates:

http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/ocd_locale.htm

Here is the general National Park Service website home page.

http://nps.gov/index.htm

Go to "Find a Park." Then look "by name" and pick Yellowstone (or Glacier), and play close attention to any notices they have regarding weather, road closures, etc.

http://nps.gov/index.htm

Definitely research using this website before you go, because you don't want to drive all that way and find out that you can't see what you want to see or even drive on the roads with the vehicle you have rented.

If you can't get a room at the OF Snow Lodge, then finding a hotel room in West Yellowstone and driving in and out of the park each day is your best option.

Have a good trip!
Old Sep 4th, 2014, 02:57 PM

Okay. Serious recommendation. With that limited anount of time I would take a tour with Brushback Wildlife tours. They have a combo tour on Oct 11 and 12. Read their reviews on Trip Advisor. Friend them on Facebook. 2 days with them is worth the money and includes the overnight.
Old Sep 4th, 2014, 02:58 PM

Stay in Jackson Wyoming before and after.
Old Sep 5th, 2014, 08:25 AM

Please note that the road from Mammoth to Norris in Yellowstone will be closed. So if you're entering the park from the North, beware! We have gotten this information and we will be in Yellowstone in 2 weeks.
However no real problem entering the park from the South entrance.

Here's a site to look at:
http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/roadclosures.htm

Also, to get to NY, I wouldn't drive all the way to Salt Lake City from Yellowstone and catch a plane there. Planes leave out of Jackson Hole Airport which is much closer to Yellowstone. You will have to change planes once. We are taking United and go from Jackson Hole to Denver to NY/La Guardia.
Old Sep 5th, 2014, 12:57 PM

Yellowstone , no contest. The most magical, out of this world place on earth.
Old Sep 11th, 2014, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your answers! Yellowstone it is, will do Glacier next time!