Glacier National Park

Search

Glacier National Park

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glacier National Park

I'm trying to plan a day or two in Glacier and am wondering if we should stay near East Glacier one night, and then down near West Glacier the second, or if we should stay near East Glacier both nights? Would we want to go back and forth across the Going to the Sun road, or would we want to go across it, and then back to East Glacier on the south road?

To put this all in perspective, we will have spent one day on the road from Bozeman to Banff (spending the night on the way), four nights camping in Banff, one day from Banff to East Glacier, stopping at Waterton along the way. Then we'll have one full day to toot around in Glacier and do the Going to the Sun road, and then will be heading to Yellowstone from either West Glacier or thereabouts (mapquest says 8 hours), or from East Glacier or thereabouts (mapquest says 7 and a half hours). Then four nights in Yellowstone, and two in the Grand Tetons.

It looks to me like it would be less overall driving just to spend one night near East Glacier and one night near West Glacier, instead of backtracking. But is the south road worth traveling?

And speaking of thereabouts, I'm thinking of staying in a tipi village in Browning (instead of East Glacier). I think that my boys would love it. Any experience with this? Please feel free to comment on anything that I've mentioned, not just my specific questions!
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 12:38 PM

Most people stay on one side the whole time. You will want to do the GTS road both ways. It's worth it for the scenery and it looks different from each direction.

The road around the south end isn't much to speak of.

The time to get to Yellowstone from either the west or east side is hardly any different.
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 03:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Connie. I didn't think about how different it would look. The east side it is, then.
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 04:04 AM

i agree to do it in both directions, if you are only doing driving goint to the sun road and scenic overlooks, at least take some time at logan pass, in the summer, crowded yes but sometimes grizzlies are out behind the visitor center and ranger may have scope on them (they are USUALLY far away)

also you may want to do just a little hiking on the highline trail gives you a very interesting perspective!

if you have time you should also drive into many glacier area. it's beautiful, you may even consider staying there instead of browning IMO browning will add little to your glacier park excperience but it is a typical town for that part of the country,

see if swiftcurrent lodge has rooms. if not i think i'd opt for east glacier rather than browning
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 08:09 AM

The road over Marias Pass is fairly flat and not nearly as dramatic as the Sun Road. I have driven both and to me the Sun Road, despite the slow pace, is not the same east to west as it is west to east. You get a different perspective.

Browning? I guess my question is why?

I think you can drive from East Glacier to Yellowstone faster than from West Glacier. I have done it both ways, and the West Glacier route is not so good.

I took the route through Big Fork to Polson and it is slow and tedious.

We turned south at Bozeman for Yellowstone.

One of the underrated attractions in Bozeman is the Museum of the Rockies.
I recommend it.
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. I was thinking about Browning solely because they have a tipi village, and I think that my boys would really enjoy spending the night in a tipi. Any input regarding that?
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 03:54 PM

Hello from Northwest Montana.
Browning is NOT a typical NW Montana town.
I would research this town a little more carefully if I were you.
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 04:17 PM

never been....read lots about it....sounds like the perfect trip.... take me with you!