Glacier & Banff - or just pick one?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2004, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted earlier about staying in Glacier at 2 KOA's and then the North Forty Resort. We have a dog so are somewhat limited in lodging.

I am starting to rethink this vacation - maybe we are spending too much time at Glacier National Park. Are the Canadian Rockies much different than Glacier?

We could drive to Banff first for a few days and then head to Glacier. We've never been to either area - but have spent time in Yellowstone/Tetons and Rocky Mt. Nat'l Parks. We have a total of 11-12 nights at the end of June, beginning of July.... we don't like to hurry through an area - found through experience that we appreciate an area more if we stay at least a few days rather than staying a night here and there. That was my original reasoning for staying the whole time in Glacier National Park but it sounds like it's easily done in a few days by many of the posts I've read.

We have 2 adults, 2 teens, a dog. Any thoughts would be appreciated....
Old May 26th, 2004, 06:39 AM

Banff, Jasper, Yoho, Kootney are all very close and you could easily spend 8 days in the area and not run out of things to do.

I prefer these mountain parks to Rocky Mountain Park and Glacier National Park in the US. These is so much to see and do and IMHO easier to get to. In my experience, we've seen much more wildlife than we ever did at Glacier. Moose, bears, eagles. You can see glaciers very close to the highway. The Icefield Parkway is awsome and the Snocoach tour up on the glacier is so much FUN! I'd pick 8 days in the Canadian parks over Glacier any day.

Like I said before, I believe dogs are allowed on the trails in Canadian National Parks. Please confirm that before you make any decisions.

Utahtea
Old May 26th, 2004, 06:49 AM

I second Utahtea!

I have been to all the places that you mention and have or would revisit all of them. The Canadian Rockies are at the top of the list. I would spend all my time visiting the sites that she mentioned if I were you. In addition to those you could throw in a visit to Olympic Park in Calgary. When I was there you took a trip to the top of the ski jump and could do a run on the luge. Well worth the few dollars...who do you know who can say they have done a luge run? Much less ridden/walked on a glacier, seen the enormous amount and variety of wildlife...there are tons more things to do. Just seeing the color of Lake Louise is something we will never forget.
Old May 26th, 2004, 07:13 AM

Another vote for the Canadian Rockies.
The Icefield Parkway is awesome. The drive to Banff is breathtaking. Don't miss it. If you must chose, go for the Rockies.
Old May 26th, 2004, 07:37 AM

Let's put it this way. Glacier is pretty. The Sun Road is spectacular to say the least. There are some interesting hikes to take that I enjoy very much, particularly the Highline trail from Logan Pass that skirts the west side of the Garden Wall and leads past Haystack Butte.

Then there are the wonders of Yoho and the Icefields Parkway.
I am planning to be back there in June,and I have NO plans to see Glacier.

Perhaps that indicates a very strong preference for the four contiguous parks of Banff, Kootenay, Yoho and Jasper. The Icefields Parkway is such that after two hours it becomes "Ho HUm, another awesome, mind-boggling, world class view." Those views come so frequently that the human mind cannot really take it all in at one sitting.
I like to drive it slowly, and even in sections. So what if I backtrack a little, I see a new angle everytime I do. I live 2,500 miles from there and don't mind the expense to get there because I feel like I get my money's worth. There are two rivals for my affection: the Canadian Rockies and the main ranges of the Swiss Alps.
Old May 26th, 2004, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, Banff might have to be added to the list.... We can drop a few days in Glacier. Any advice on where to stay would be appreciated.