Search

Girlfriends Getaway

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Girlfriends Getaway

In search of a girlfriends getaway, for divorced women in their 40's.. We are looking for a 5-7 day vacation, reasonably priced (under $1200.00 per person). We plan to go around August 10th. Does anyone have any suggestions for good vacation ideas, including resorts, and things to do? We enjoy the beach, shopping, and daytime activities, as well as nightlife.
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 12:10 PM

I see you have posted on several forums so assume you are pretty much open to any place. I suggest Charleston and the Isle of Palms. Has it all for what you are seeking. Either rent a condo at Isle of Palms and come in to Chas to shop and hit the clubs or stay at the Doubletree and drive out to the beach during the day. Enjoy your holidays!
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 12:39 PM

Charleston is a great suggestion, although it will be mega-hot & muggy. If you need a tour guide I will be happy to volunteer my services (if my wife will let me, hmmmmmmm). Not sure where you are coming from but Key West is always nice as well.
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestions. Yes, I posted on a few forums, as we are open to suggestions. I will look Charleston The Isle of Palms. Also, would Key West be very expensive?
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 12:52 PM

Depends on flights more than anything else, that time of year will be 'off-season' so you could likely find some deals.
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 01:49 PM

We did a Charleston girlfriends getaway; it was wonderful. Great food, plantation tours, neat architecture and gardens. We went to Kiawah island as well. We enjoyed Key West, but I think Charleston is better for a girls' trip. Key West was extremely hot in August too.
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Where did you stay in Charleston and Kiawah Island? I'm not familiar with either area, and wouldn't know where to begin, as far are hotels.
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 02:15 PM

For Charleston, I'd suggest either the Doubletree Suites (well located and good for a group traveling together...but no pool!) or Marketplace Pavillion. Do a search on this forum for GoTravel's Charleston trip report. She reviewed a number of hotels there and although the report is a couple of years old, the info is still good.
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 02:26 PM

We stayed at a B&B in Charleston - I'm sorry I can't remember the name. In Key West, we stayed at the Marquesa and thought it was great.
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 01:55 AM

August is a great time to visit Maine. If you stay somewhere south of Portland you would have Kittery ME Outlet Mall shopping to the south (right next to Portsmouth NH) and Freeport ME. Portland ME and Portsmouth NH have some terrific restaurants, everything from fine dining to clam shacks. We enjoy summer theater. Portsmouth has a couple of theaters plus events in Prescott Park. There's a summer theater in Ogunquit and else where.
We prefer mid-coast Maine but we like to camp and hunt for the best lobster rolls. There is more night life in the southern coastal area. There are historic areas to visit i.e. Strawbery Banke in Portsmouth NH. The Farnsworth Art Museum is about 2 hours north of Portland ME. (features Maine artists including all three Wyeths) There are several places where you can take a boat trip such as an excursion to an island, a harbor tour, or a nature cruise to learn more about lobsters.
Charleston is beautiful but I don't think I would choose SC for August. A niece visited FL last August (Orlando area) and ended up with hurricane threats and lots of rain. You might look at special events in the areas you are considering that might pique your interest such as a seafood festival, air show, etc. In NH I think early August is when the League of NH Craftsmen have their huge 10 day fair in Sunapee.
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 02:42 AM

We stayed at a great place near Portland called the Inn by the Sea. It's been a few years, so you'd have to check out recent reviews, but we really enjoyed it. It's on Cape Elizabeth.
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 03:14 AM

You should consider the Alabama Gulf Coast. Great beaches and shopping, great night life. If you go to www.thebeachiscalling.org, you can even find "girlfriend getaway" packages that are fun!
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 04:28 PM

If you go to maine, then stay at the Portland Regency. (http://www.theregency.com/)You are in the Old Port with all the shops and eateries you could ask for. It is a 20 min drive to Freeport with more shopping, the a 1 hour drive to Kittery. The Old Port is great for the nightlife. I have always found the majority of people outgoing and friendly. I am too old for the college bar scene and I love going out in the old port. Old Orchard Beach is close by and there are some others. The Portland Regency is about as nice as you can get in Portland.
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 06:16 PM

Here is a great deal. $99 per night at the Fairmont Southhampton in Bermuda. Both expedia and the Fairmont website had the rate as of this afternoon. http://www.bermudatourism.com click on the Fairmont deals. Can't think of a better place for your getaway, Ladies.