Girl's Weekend in NYC - Need Hotel Help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 12:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Three of us are planning a girls' long weekend in NYC - mid June this year.

After long searches, the list has come to these hotels:

Avalon - $259 Jr. Suite
Hotel Elysee - $295
Roger Williams - Deluxe - $324
Shelburne Murray Hill - 1 BR Suite - $295
Lucerne - Deluxe Qn Suite - $295

I've read that the 32nd Street area is not the greatest - I like the location of the Lucerne and Elysee better.

We'll be doing some general sightseeing, theatre (don't want to be in Times Sq) and shopping. Want reasonable restaurants around the hotel so cab fares don't eat our budget.

We had hoped to find hotels in price range of $250 but for a room to fit 3 people, that has been hard.

We've looked and looked, and these are the hotels that are within range and are available. We really don't want to look at others.

Can anyone tell me what hotel would have the best location? We want a safe location also.
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 03:21 AM
Original Poster

p.s. I haven't heard great things about Roger Williams - extremely small rooms, $10/day "service charge", smelly, and have read that the Elysee has gotten "shabby".

If anyone has stayed at any of these hotels recently, please comment.
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 03:24 AM

The location of the Elysee is fine for shopping and theater - but because you're midtown the dining options tend to be somewhat more expensive.

The Lucerne is in a more residential area and near tons of inexpensive neighborhood type restaurants. Also, subway service is good (just a few stop to Times Square). You're also right near the Park and within an easy walk of many of the major museums.

I would definitely not stay on 32nd St - can be quite dreary at night.
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 03:45 AM

Agree with you (decision b/w Lucerne and Elysee) and agree with nytraveler-Elysee location better for shopping midtown dept stores and the theater but you'll have to walk a bit further east or north to find more neighborhood type affordable eating places (but there are plenty and if you choose this, I'll tell you where they are).

The Lucerne is in a residential area with more moderate dining options close by, just not as convenient for midtown activities. Between these 2, honestly I'd almost have to flip a coin. I think I'd like to convenience of the Elysee for popping back to the hotel midday to drop packages off The Elysee also has a lot of interesting history. Tallulah Bankhead lived there (and I think Tennessee Williams did too). I've not seen the rooms there in some time so don't know what condition they're in. I did see a room at the Lucerne a few years ago and thought they'd done a really nice job with the bathrooms (lots of marble) and the furniture.

I know you said you didn't want to look further. I'll just mention the Salisbury, which may not be as nice inside as either of these, appears to be available on quikbook for $243 for a 1 bed suite on the middle weekend of June. (It's more on the hotel's own website) It's an excellent midtown location for your needs and the suites are like apts.
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 04:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion of Salisbury. Took a look and it looks like a possibility. Definitely a nice location.

I am partial to the Central Park area rather than much further down South.
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

OK, I said I wasn't going to do this, but have come up with a few more. These are a little pricier, but I like Midtown East locations better.

Would like comments if anyone knows of these:

Fitzpatrick
Kimberly
Blakely (was the old Gorham)
Crowne Plaza UN
Bentley
Warwick
Excelsior
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 06:32 AM
TC

I've stayed at the Kimberly. Thought the location was good - although at night the area tends to dry up a bit, very busy during the day. It is a good cross-town hike to theater at night and hard to get a cab prior to theater that is of much help. The "suites" are good sized and we liked having a kitchenette for breakfast, drinks, etc.

I have a stay booked at the Blakely for May. Can't comment now, but will be glad to post later. The location seems very good, which is why I booked it.

My favorite "girls weekend" hotels are The Renaissance Times Square or The Doubletree Times Square. The rooms and especially the baths are nice and large and the staffs are excellent. I know you said "no Times Square", but from this location you have such amazing subway access that its a snap to get anywhere else in the city. I also love all the Restaurant Row and 8th and 9th Avenue dining opportunities. Just a suggestion.

Just make sure that wherever you stay that you do get more than one bed. A not-so-well-traveled friend just told me of her girls weekend NY adventure where the three slept in one king bed because they forgot to ask for doubles and by the time they arrived nothing else was available. LOL!
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Yes, we are getting 2 Doubles.

One other hotel considering - The Essex House - I think this is a Westin Hotel - right near Central Park.

Can anyone tell me - is staying Midtown East or Midtown West better? I have only stayed at the Library Hotel, Madison and 42nd st.

I did not like the area South, like the area North closer to Central Park. I also liked the sights up that way - St. Patricks, Bloomies, etc.

I did not like the Times Square/Broadway area AT ALL. I felt claustraphobic there were so many people.

So unless bus/subway/walking access is a problem, or no restaurants , we are considering Midtown East, Midtown West, Upper East Side and Upper West Side.

Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 07:02 AM

If you're going to the theater, your original thought of the Lucerne is a good one. The UWS is a nice neighborhood, there are many inexpensive restaurants nearby (as others have pointed out), and it's a quick trip by subway to the theater district. Central Park is right there, too. Personally I would prefer the Upper West to Midtown East -- to me, that's nearly as nerve-jangling as Times Square.
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 03:23 AM
Original Poster

Our dates are June 16 - June 20. I did some searching and see that rates appear lower in July and August. Is that a correct assumption, and maybe should we change our dates? (We are flexible).
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 04:12 AM

Yes, rates are lower for July and August. If you plug the different dates into Quikbook, you will see that some are substantially lower (ie, check out the rates for the Benjamin).

We are staying at the Blakely in July for our girls weekend. There will be 5 of us and we have a 1 bdrm. suite with 2 Q beds, connecting to a regular room with 2 Q beds. We booked directly with the hotel.

Old Apr 24th, 2005, 11:50 AM

Yes I'd guess prices would be lower in July & August. That's b/c it's considerably hotter.

In addition to decision on location, I think you also should decide whether you want an all suite hotel with kitchenette and living room. That will help narrow down options. Of the places currently mentioned the Salisbury, Shelburne, Blakely, Kimberly are all suite hotels. I don't want to confuse you more, but there are plenty more of those. Do you plan on doing any museums? If yes, the Surrey hotel would be my pick if it's affordable. It's on the upper east side just off Madison Ave. near the Met. and the Carlyle.

Of all the ones you've mentioned, I'd eliminate the Bentley, the Roger Williams and the Avalon. Don't know the Crowne Plaza UN but the Millenium UN Plaza has a nice rooftop swimming pool that would be nice for a summer stay but it's all the way east from the theaters. The Warwick is a nice, small old hotel well located, but somehow I don't think of it as a good choice for summer. I could be wrong.
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 11:52 AM

Forgopt to say the Westin Essex House on CPS is a lovely hotel in a nice location too. A traditional large hotel.
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 01:17 PM
GoTravel

mclaurie, The Surrey is pretty pricey even though I think it is worth it.

I don't understand why you all are saying the area around 32nd Street is dreary? I'm stumped.

I love that area. Stones throw to some great restaurants like Turkish Kitchen and Artisnal. While it is a little more quiet at night, the Upper East Side is much more quiet and shut down.

I heartily recommend both The Shelbourne Murray Hill and The New York Salisbury.

Old Apr 24th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

At this point, we are thinking does not have to be a suite. We won't be in our room that much. To save $$ we are willing to do 2 double beds (there are 3 of us).

I think the short list has become Hotel Elysee (I did not realize this is a sister hotel to The Library which I really liked), The Kimberly and The Salisbury, although I am worried that the Salisbury is so cheap what it is like. Excelsior was on our list, but seems too out of the way. Waldorf was also on, but seems too big. Although we don't need luxury, we would like something nice. Top end of our budget is $315/night without tax, so Surrey seems to be out.

Can anyone tell me how these compare as far as both the hotel and neighborhood?

I think we have gone about this wrong, and should pick our neighborhood first. I like Midtown East. Do not like Times Square, have never been to Upper West Side, nor Upper East Side. Don't want to do The Village or Soho/Tribeca.

If Murray Hill is South of 42nd Street where we stayed at The Library, I was not crazy about this area. One day we walked to Gramercy Park and then Union Square/Flatiron, and did not think the area was as nice as where we stayed. We also walked to Carnegie Deli one day and I did not like the area that was in - way too busy for me. Nor did we like Broadway area - again, just way to busy.

The areas I remember liking were around Rockefeller Center, Trump Tower, South Central Park and where St. Patrick's Cathedral was. These areas are busy, but seemed more upscale and nicer. I'm hoping this is what I think is Midtown East.
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 04:44 PM

Well - you've succeeded in picking out the most expensive real estate in Manhattan - perhaps that's why you like it the most. The Elysees is not far from there (have you got a good street map to check?) - but most of the hotels in that area are tres $.

That area is midtwon east - but there are other parts that are much further east - that are less convenient - and more pleasant as opposed to the most upscale. That's always the danger with Priceline.

It sounds like you want to be in the most upscale places - so you would probably also like some of the places on the upper east side - also very upscale on Fifth, Madison and Park - but more residential - but also often the most expensive.

You may want to look at the new Priceline option - in which you know in advance what the hotel is - but naturally discounts are less than with the "invisible" Priceline.
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 05:10 PM
GoTravel

I love the Salisbury. It is like a second home to my parents. They always stay in the two bedroom apartment.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe the Salisbury isn't cheap but a good deal because it is independently owned? The Baptist Church next door owns it and Carnegie Hall thinks enough of it to house many of their visiting musicians.

Old Apr 24th, 2005, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

GoTravel -
That's interesting. I like that the church owns it.

It got very good reviews on TripAdvisor.

Certainly a contender.

OK, NY advisors - between Elysee, Salisbury, or Kimberly, which meets our needs best of safe, nice upscale neighborhood, close to Central Park, Barney's, SAKS, Rockefeller Center, Museum of Modern Art, St. Patrick's Cathedral, walking distance to moderate restaurants and theatre and is "comfortably nice" rather than just "basic", but doesn't have to be "luxury"?
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 03:34 AM

Tough decision. I think the Elysee is on the nicest block in the prettiest immediate area of the 3. It's close to everything you mentioned except moderate restaurants will be a bit further away. (not too far though) It's the only one that isn't an all suite hotel though. Does your price assume a suite or junior suite just a room? I think that makes the difference. If you can get a suite at the Elysee and don't care about a kitchen, do that.

If not....check the price of the Affinia 50 and also the little known Lombardy (try for a one bedroom suite at both of those) They're in the same neighborhood, just a few blocks away.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Mclaurie - checked out the Lombardy and really like the looks of it.

Strange, though, when I tried to check availability for June 16 - June 20 for 3 adults it said "No Availability". When I changed the guests to 2, it gave me a list of rooms, including rooms with 2 queen beds.

Is every hotel different? Why would a room with 2 queens not allow 3 people where some hotels we have looked at allow 3 people with 2 double beds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -