Search

Getting to Mt. Rushmore from Ohio

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2013, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting to Mt. Rushmore from Ohio

Hi Fodor friends,
I've always received wonderful info and ideas from posters here. You've helped me with my NYC trip and one to Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon. Now I'm looking for ideas on how to plan some kind of trip for my husband and I to see Mt. Rushmore/Crazy Horse and maybe a few other places of interest in that area. Welive on the east side of Ohio, about an hour from Pittsburgh. I am wondering what might be the best way to plan this kind of trip. I'd love a bus tour, but so far haven't found much on that. Should we fly into some nearby town? Take a train? The drive seems kind of long and boring if it's just the two of us in the car. Any ideas?
Old Apr 6th, 2013, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is your budget? How much time do you have for this trip? What month are you going?

It's about a 20 hour drive, but it doesn't have to be boring. If you have the time you can make a lot of stop along the way.

However if you're working with time constraints, flying is going to save you some time. Rapid City has an airport but it's probably somewhat expensive. Denver is also relatively close (5-6 hour drive).

I've never gone to Crazy Horse, it seems like a lot of time/money to spend on seeing a very unfinished monument. There are so many other things to see that I wouldn't spend the time on it unless you happen to be very close while seeing something else.
Old Apr 6th, 2013, 11:46 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
About the train idea: You can get on the Capitol Limited about 1:30AM ET in Alliance OH and get to Chicago shortly before 9AM Central if the train runs on time (most of the time).
About 10:15AM a Hiawatha train leaves for Milwaukee. You can either go into MKE or MKA which is the Milwaukee airport. It is only 1:30 from CHI to MKA. Rent your car there and have lunch and head west. You should be able to make it to Albert Lea MN. On the way to Rapid City the next day make a stop in Mitchell SD to see the Corn Palace and in Wall to see Wall Drug.
You will also want to see the Badlands NP and perhaps go into NE Wyoming to see Devils Tower.
When you drop the car back off you could fly back to Ohio from Milwaukee.