Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Getting in the car and heading north from Orange County help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alrighty! I am thrilled to say that dh was supposed to be gone all weekend - arrived at the Orange County Airport this morning to be told his flights were canceled and that he could try maybe Sunday - well since it was for a work conference he and the boss decided to skip it (the conference ends Monday)... the snow has made a mess of everythying.

So here is where the good news comes in. DD is gone for the weekend and we now have the weekend to OURSELVES and decided to get away! Wahhhooo...

We are going to get up in the morning and just drive north. This works great for dh - and since we always go to San Diego when we have a chance to get away; thought it would be fun to go in the other direction ...

Dh was thinking Santa Barbara. I have only stayed in SB once - and it was about 10 years or so ago... sooo..

This is where you all come in - I KNOW it is Valentines weekend and it might be risky just going and the planner in me is having a panic attack (see: I usually have a travel folder et... you get the idea).

Hotel recommendations -

Good eats?

Also - we are not locked into SB - just going to head north tomorrow... We have to be back by 4:00 pm on Monday.

Open to any suggestions!

We like wine tasting, good food (does not have to be expensive),

I do prefer a little nicer of a hotel but have stayed in lower ends and been fine too - (we stayed in a beachy place for one night in SB the one time we went - and it was fine).

Music, festivals, that sort of thing... and just being together alone! Wahhooooo!

Help
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Oh we talked about going to the snow but passed due to the busy weekend and not having the right clothing et... so that is out.
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 08:00 AM

YEAH! for you!
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

so fun right??? I am thrilled beyond words; and maybe we are just supposed to wing it.
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 08:15 AM

Hi Dawn, here is one thought and that is Ojai which is about 20 minutes east of 101 on Hwy 33.

Here is a lot of website (from Google) if you want to review some of them to see if Ojai would be of interest and if there is any lodging that is available, et.

Another thought is Ventura. You could invetigate that city too for lodging, restaurants etc.

I have always enjoyed Ojai and Ventura. Happy Valentines Weekend to you two!
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 08:24 AM

I like Santa Barbara because they don't do handsprings to attract tourists. The city is primarily there to serve the residents of Santa Barbara and nearby communities. Tourism is a welcome addition to the city's revenues of course. Here's a list of things to do and see.
http://www.santabarbara.com/points_of_interest/

I like the Moreton Bay fig Tree.
http://www.beachcalifornia.com/sbtree.html

The original Sambo's restaurant is there. It's good for breakfast and they do serve stuff besides pancakes. If you're black (how would I know?) you might take offense at the name and its past connotations. Or you might not.
http://www.sambosrestaurant.com/
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

thank you so much LI! I have never been to either and will check them out when I get home from school.

Db - thank you for the links - and no, I am not black. But dh LOVES a good breakfast!
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Has anyone been to El Capitan?
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 08:32 AM

What about Pasadena? The Norton Simon Museum is wonderful and there are loads of great restaurants.
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 08:35 AM

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...alifornia.html

Trip advisor showing rooms available for tomorrow night.

Deb
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 08:38 AM

just did a quick check on expedia and most things all over are sold out and a 2 day min.
my suggestions are:

Catalina Island
Santa Barbara
Las Vegas
Sedona
San Diego
Palm Springs/Palm Desert

Last minute deals on expedia and if you see something you like, call direct.
Keep us posted!
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 08:58 AM

This place in Pasadena has decent write ups on Trip advisor and is #3 of 28 hotels in Pasadena. They have a king, non smoking, with breakfast for $95 and it's available for Sat night.

http://tinyurl.com/ybcphh6
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 09:00 AM

The Langham Huntington is a stately hotel and its only $235 a night in Pasadena.
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 09:09 AM

I saw that, ksucat -- looks grand.

Not sure what Dawn's budget it, so I went lower. For a place in the middle of the 2, Courtyard [ranked #2 in Pasadena] is $149 for the night on expedia.
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 09:17 AM

Don't forget (I'm sure you already know) that there is terrific wine tasting from Santa Barbara all the way up the central coast. Depending on how long you want to drive, Pismo Beach is beautiful and there are some lovely places to stay.

Since it is last minute on Valentine's Day weekend, you may need to look at less well-known places to stay such as Arroyo Grande. It's perfectly situated for some great wine tasting in the San Luis Obispo area.
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 11:03 AM

Speaking of wine tasting, did you see the movie "Sideways"? If you decide to go to Santa Barbara and if you have seen the movie, you might find it enjoyable to follow some of the paths that the two characters in the movie followed in their wine tasting journey. You can get a map here.
http://www.google.com/search?q=Sidew...ient=firefox-a
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 11:07 AM

Hmmm, that link doesn't work. If you're interested, post back and I'll figure out what's wrong. Or you can just google "Sideways Map"
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

We are staying either 2-3 nights - not sure if we are going to head out today or tomorrow am now.

Ksucat - worried about the sold out thing - am home from school so will start searching now. Dh just doesn't fret about those things.

The wine tasting is inviting to me!

Sedona is too far for just 2 nights to drive from here I think. Would like to keep it around 4-5 hour drive max.

Keep the ideas coming - off to hunt
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 11:31 AM

just got back from Sedona and it was 7 hours to SD so thinking OC might be 5.5-6 hours max.
Sedona was stunning as usual.
Any other weekend I would say go and meander and get a room but I would have reservations this weekend since VD falls on Sunday.
Grande Del Mar had some rooms left at $299 a night..
This is a gorgeous 5* resort but don't know your budget.
Also, Rancho Santa Fe Inn is off the beaten path and a lovely place to stay..they had rooms at $159 last time I checked.
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

We wanted to head north ksucat since we always come to SD for get aways - but Santa Barbara is not looking good. I am slightly discouraged after doing a quick search...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -